hi guys, i have been looking around for a while at trolling motors for my 12' canoe. I am setting a budget of ≈$300-350 for both the electric motor AND a battery.
My question is what sort of thrust do I need? it would be used mostly in still water but occasionally in slight currents so I would want it to be powerfull enough to fight the current.

Thought??

Thanks!!

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 pm

my buddy is using a 30# on his canoe right now. We had a conversation about it cuz I thought something like a 40-50 would be better but he says it's just fine. He takes it on the Merrimack river. Hope this helps. You have more than enough budget. A Minn Kota 30 is like 100 bucks and I think I paid 180 for a 40 that I use on my cartopper

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:21 pm

30 lb thrust is fine, Minn Kota Endura C2 $115. anything more powerfull will have the longer shaft and stick up higher. walmart has deep cycle batteries for around $70.

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 pm

IMO buy as much thrust as you can possibly afford. You might not need it all the time, but when you do you will be glad you have it.

BPS sells the Minn Kota Endura series. You can get the 45lb thrust for $219. You can get a walmart battery for about $100. Thats $319 and you will be glad you bought what you bought.

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 pm

its only a 12 ft canoe. if it was a jonboat or squareback canoe I would agree with stratos. but you have to consider the motor weight too for distribution. motor on one side and battery on the other. and put the battery up front if you are alone in the stern.

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:45 pm

any1 who goes near the mouth or the jappa flats of the merrimack neads all thrust they can get. probobly should be out there in a canoe at all. definatly get as much thrust as possible.u will have it for a while and u will be glad u have it. should get deep cycle marine battery at sears. DieHard is a great battery. try to get a decent size battery to. these to items are not the place to skimp.

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:49 pm

That makes sense. I want more, bigger and better all the time. BTW My buddy fishes the Merrimack in Methuen. Pretty calm on most days

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm

stratos1966

IMO buy as much thrust as you can possibly afford. You might not need it all the time, but when you do you will be glad you have it.

BPS sells the Minn Kota Endura series. You can get the 45lb thrust for $219. You can get a walmart battery for about $100. Thats $319 and you will be glad you bought what you bought.

Rich you always give some of the best advice i see on here. I would have to agree on this you might not always need the extra power but in high wind days or strong current bodies of water you will be happy that you have it. They do have the bigger sizes in short shafts. Also do not skimp on the battery i have an interstate and a diehard deep cycle battery for my topper and they are both great batteries. On my saltwater boat i have two interstates. Im very happy with both batteries.

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 pm

thanks guys! after reading your responses i think im going to go with a 50# minn kota on a 36" shaft. I was probably off on my guess of the canoe length, its probably more like a 15'. the 50# might be a bit big but i wanna grab a small john boat this winter and dont wanna have to upgrade to a larger motor if i only went with say a 30#. also after reading some other posts i am going to buy 2 batteries, just in case lol.

out of curiosity has anyone used/heard about the BPS brand motors?

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 am

mattn1387

thanks guys! after reading your responses i think im going to go with a 50# minn kota on a 36" shaft. I was probably off on my guess of the canoe length, its probably more like a 15'. the 50# might be a bit big but i wanna grab a small john boat this winter and dont wanna have to upgrade to a larger motor if i only went with say a 30#. also after reading some other posts i am going to buy 2 batteries, just in case lol.

out of curiosity has anyone used/heard about the BPS brand motors?

Good , smart choice. Dont go near the BPS motors. Cheaply made. You get what you pay for.

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:26 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links