so, recently wrapped up the few usual bullhead nights i do each summer, and have been wanting to switch lanes and target some trout...either native brookies or stocked rainbows.

from my understanding, they can be difficult to target this time of summer in lakes and ponds with the warmer water temps, at least for someone like me who has to shore fish and doesn't have a boat to access deeper/cooler waters in most lakes. so i have been looking at local coldwater streams and rivers, particularly those listed as being stocked waters.

just looking for trout tips for these kinda spots, and also maybe any knowledge some of you guys may have about certain streams and rivers in central mass. for example, i tried to hit up whitman river in westminster and phillips brook in ashburnham. both are lister as stocked rainbow waters, but i had no real luck (was hard locating decent access points).

over the winter i'm seriously considering grabbing a beginner fly rod/reel combo for next spring, but for now i'm just fishing with regular poles and techniques. any advice?

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:32 am

The best river for trout in this area is the Millers river around Athol.
Good Luck

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:28 am

A bait I had great luck with was meal worms(also called wax worms)rigged with a marshmallow.Same set up you would use for power eggs or bait.Slip sinker then a split shot around 14 inches up line or less if water is shallower put split shot lower put a hook just big enough to fit min marshmallow then the meal worm.Or meal worm free fall or with a float trout love em caught some real nice bows this year on them one in a river almost 2lbs.Good luck

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:50 pm

thanks guys for the advice, think i will try both, the meal worms with marshmallows at millers river. just curious, isn't a stretch of that river fly fishing only? do you know off hand access points that are not in the fly fishing section?

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

If you go back to Lake Mattawa I know they put a lot of trout in there and you could try the mealworms or powerbait there. There are always guys there along the guardrail with their rods propped up and just waiting. I have never trout fished there before but seeing that there are usually people fishing that stretch along the road I am assuming it might be worth a shot. Good luck

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:50 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links