Hi there. I haven't touched a rod and reel for over 20 years. Then, this summer my son and I fished the Saco River in Maine with my brother from a canoe. We had a blast and caught tons of fish (mostly small mouth bass) using my brother's Mepps lures. Since then my son is crazy about fishing. So I bought some gear…Zebco combo for him Ugly Stik combo for me, and we have tried fishing a few spots around where we live in Beverly. My son is crazy about using lures, so that's what we have been using. Mostly spinners of one kind or another and a couple of spoons. So far we have caught 1 pickerel at Chebacco near Centennial Grove. Other than that nothing…been to Putnamville, Ipswich River near Bradley Palmer State Park. I'm sure I could use some pointers on technique and such, but I'm also wondering where else could we fish? Also, is the fall a good time to fish in general? Thanks.

Posted Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:16 pm

I don't have the time right now to give a pargraph but i'll say that fall is a great time for bass fishing, as the bass begin to feed like crazy to fatten up from winter. Perhaps buy yourself and your son a couple lipless crankbaits (rattle traps) for around now. There are some techniques for fishing them around cover, but it seems like your just starting out, so for now just cast and retrieve them. Fishing is such a great sport to get into and i'm sure you and your son will develop many memories in the years to come, so have fun with it. Good luck!

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:19 am

Thanks for the tip about the lipless crank bait. Ill pick a couple up. Any favorites?

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:39 am

That's great to hear about you and your son's outing. I would recommend senko to add into your Arsenal. Senko is versatile lure to use. You can rig it as many things to do with it. Weedless, wacky rig, Carolina rig, Texas rigged, and etc. you don't have to worry about losing senko on weeds or logs. Easy to learn and don't be afraid to fish into weeds. You will be surprised how effective it is when you get hang of it. Go buy either watermelon and blue color senko. They work best for all year around. Depends on which bass wants/mood on that day when you fish.

Now, second thing, try to learn patience to fish with senko. Twitching it few times then pause it. Repeat the process. Also, just head up, It can do like what you do with spinners. But it wouldn't be effective to get bass's attention.

Good luck on your next outing and feel free to ask me anything related to this.

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Just like what was said, try the senko. They cast far, and that's what you want when you fish on the wall at Putnamville. Also Becks down the street from Chebacco should produce a few, there is limited shoreline to fish, but it's easy access for a quick trip.

Another option would be Pleasant off of rt. 1A in Beverly, they probably just did the fall trout stocking there. Your spinners should work there. If the action is slow, grab a handful of small pebbles and toss them out there, they think it's liver pellets like they were fed at the hatchery.

You'll get them, good luck.

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks for all the great information everybody. This is exactly the kind of stuff I need. Just to clarify though and sorry for my cluelessness a Senko is a fake worm right? Do they come in different sizes ? If so what would be best? And should I put them on a large or small hook? I think the only hooks I have our Eagle claw number eights. Also if I'm going to try fishing for those trout should I use the spoons that I have? Thomas buoyant - or rooster tail. Or..powerbait. Which is something I've just read about and I'm not even clear what that is

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:44 pm

No worries, there is no dumb question about it. Also, yes, it is a fake plastic worm. I used 5.5 inch senko. I would recommend that size although there are variety of sizes such as 3-8 inches. 4-6 inch work the best. You will need to do trail and error to figure out which size of senko that suit you the best. I did add and post picture on here. This is what senko is look like. In the picture, left to right, wacky rig, no weight Texas rig(this one is what I'm usually fish with it), and weight Texas rig.

Now, for the hook on the senko. You can use any kind of hooks. I'm usually use 5/0 gamakatsu ewg worm hook. But there is some situation that I will only thrown eagle claw size 1 on senko. (I will recommend you to get 2/0 or 3/0 worm hook for senko.) only reason I say this, you will excel with it. While I am heavy fish into weeds and lily pads. So I need stronger hook to get solid hook set and able to pull out of weeds without snap the hook. Like I said before, trail and error will tell you which you like to do with it.

For trout fishing, stick with inline spinners and spoons. They are best for when it comes to trout fishing. Plus, you have some confidence to use them so you know what that lure will do for you. If you have some patience to sit and wait, powerbait dough ball, Nightclawers, mealworms, bugs, and minnows will work well too. But just remember one thing, there are always something that fishermen will be over-confidence about specific thing to catch fish. Like you do with inline spinners.

Good luck!

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed information. It is much appreciated. Guess it's time to go shopping for some gear. Can't wait to try it all out.

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:56 pm

gary yamamotos are good expensive senkos. but they do rip easily!

go to dicks sporting goods and get BIG BITE. they are like 2 bucks sometimes a dollar! smell great.

yum dingers work well also!

Posted Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:18 am

OH yeah, I forget to mention that brands are key role too. Bassturds is right about this. Stay away from Gary Yamamoto. Expensive brand and produce exactly same as another brands. I like tournament brand from bass pro. 4 dollars each bag. I am usually buy them when they goes on sale. 2.50 or 3 dollars per bag. Good deal for anyone. Although certain color has their problem like come off hook easily. But not those two color that I mentioned in my previous post.

Posted Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:51 am

Again. Thanks to all you guys for your responses and advice. I plan on doing a little fishing this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again. And I'm open to more advice whenever people want to give it.

Posted Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Had no luck last weekend. Pleasant pond was too crowded by the time I got there. Went to Putnam and got skunked. Had fun anyway. I picked up some senko worms. And hooks. Had fun casting. But would have been better if we caught a few. Still learning the ropes. Not giving up.

Posted Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Things picked up today. Caught a few large mouth bass and pickerel using a rapala jointed minnow from shore at Chebacco. Had a bunch of missed strikes on a frog we were throwing into the lily pads too. Overall a good day for a couple of newbies.

Posted Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:03 pm

WTG guys!

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links