I carry three rods on my kayak, with frogs or jigs, spinners, worms....but every single fish I catch is on some variety of a green worm. Is it me? Is it just that I know how to fish with a worm and not with a frog or a spinner? Im getting the feeling one rod and one worm is enough. The other day I caught 8 bass on a single worm (until it shredded and fell apart). Im thinking I have a lot to learn with the other options. Not sure where to turn to deal with this so called issue....

Any thoughts?
Mark.

Posted Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Wanna learn a new technique? Next time you go out take only the gear you need for that technique. I did this when I wanted to learn a jig. One rod, a couple of jigs and a couple of hours.

Posted Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:13 pm

shawneramone

Wanna learn a new technique? Next time you go out take only the gear you need for that technique. I did this when I wanted to learn a jig. One rod, a couple of jigs and a couple of hours.

Fair point man. It is easy to revert to what you know if you fail after a few minutes on some new technique. I used a frog today and it got hit twice, but I failed to set the hook. I threw the worm to the same lily pads and nailed it straight away. I should have persevered with the frog....

Posted Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Well that is a classic move. If they miss a topwater, they give away their position and you nail him with the worm. But if you want to build confidence in the frog, just go out for a short trip with just a frog. It's amazing how a couple of fish can build that confidence.

Posted Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Plastic worms catch fish period! It's always my go to bait when things are tough. If you can't catch a bass on a worm then they just aren't biting Exclamation Laughing A frog doesn't even come close, that's a tough bait for bites.

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:15 pm

if you want to consistently catch larger bass you got to throw jigs. they are the next best thing to worms.

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:23 pm

oldfisher

if you want to consistently catch larger bass you got to throw jigs. they are the next best thing to worms.

Do you have a <go> jig? Something that you fall back to all the time?

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:05 pm

oldfisher

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:10 pm

oldfisher

I agree completely! Big bass LOVE jigs!

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:14 pm

number26

oldfisher

unfortunately I have too many. just keep it simple, either black or green bass jig with a matching trailer (paca chunk, chigger craw) or doubletail grub. jig weight will depend on what rods you use. 1/4 to 3/8 oz for baitcaster, lighter for spinning(use braid and light wire hook).

Posted Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links