Got an Abu Garcia black max reel as a gift. Have no idea what I'm doing. While trying to set drag tried to turn drag star and it won't turn independently from the handle. Didn't hear anything pop or snap....did I already break the reel or am I just completely overlooking something???

Posted Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Your best bet is to go on YouTube and watch videos. That's what I did.

Then I promptly got rid of the reels because I have no patience for that annoying s***. Haha.

Posted Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Star drag should turn independently from the handle. Was the reel brand new?? (may be a stupid question, but have to ask) - Hold the handle tightly and try to turn the star drag in either direction. If the reel is used, the drag may be cranked tight already. With the reel engaged, can you move the spool with your thumb in the direction to let line out?? If not, the drag is cranked tight....

Posted Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:11 am

Yes reel is brand new. I had some line put on it and took it out for a spin only to get a vicious bird's nest on my first cast (needless to say I underestimated the differences between spinning and baitcasting combos). I don't have any line on it right now, was just looking at the owner's manual and trying to make sure I knew how everything worked before I went out again, and was trying to play with drag star and it just won't move unless I am cranking the handle.

Posted Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 am

Try tightening the spool tension

Posted Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:33 pm

easiest way to learn to use one is to tighten the cast control knod or spool tension knob to the point that the lure (3/8 oz or so) will fall ever so slightly... if it falls fast, turn clockwise until you have it falling slow in freespool. once you have it there its best for someone just learning to use baitcasting reels to turn it another half turn tighter (clockwise) and just make gentle practice casts.

in terms of the drag, check to make sure its not over tightened or loosened... grab hold of the handle and turn the drag knob. if it still doesnt turn, you may have a defective piece there... return it or exchange it for a Lew's Very Happy

Posted Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Biggest difference between a baitcaster and a spinning reel is the "release point" when you take your thumb off the spool. The first time I cast a baitcaster, the lure landed about 5 feet in front of me and the line on the spool blew up!! Keep at it though, once you get good with them you'll never want to go back.... some people can throw lightweight lures with a baitcaster, but I'm not one of them....

Posted Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:32 am

I think quality of the reel especialy in the beginning stages is a big help too.

My 1st reel was very expensive and i learned it easy.
My 2nd reel was 1/3 cost and got returned within days.

New technology in reels has helped alot and i think most reels over $100 maybe closer to $150 mark are good nowadays.

When you get comfortable i think most reels can be used with ease.

But my advice given to me as a newbie baitcaster was make the best purchase you can on your 1st reel or you might be discouraged.

Posted Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:16 am

Don't throw into the wind is the best advice when learning.

Posted Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:05 am

dont pee into wind either

Posted Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:24 pm

jwall046

really Jay????

Posted Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:18 pm

tiderid10

jwall046

really Jay????

Damn good advice....

Posted Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:44 pm

davelach

Got an Abu Garcia black max reel as a gift. Have no idea what I'm doing. While trying to set drag tried to turn drag star and it won't turn independently from the handle. Didn't hear anything pop or snap....did I already break the reel or am I just completely overlooking something???

To your original question, it's somewhat difficult to diagnose the problem with what's given. Still , I'll take a crack. If the drag star turns with the handle but not independently, you may have the drag really socked down. Try holding the handle in place and turning the star counter CW firmly. If it gives, that was your problem. If not, it may be broken. Another option would be to bring it to a full service tackle shop and ask them to fill it with line for you. They will know if it's busted or if just out of adjustment.

FWIW, It took me several years of failed attempts with cheap reals before I got decent with a bait caster. ( It took a decent reel too!)
My advice:
Don't try to cast lures that re too light. 3/8 should be minimum when your starting. 1/2 oz is better.
Don't use lien that's too light. 15 or 17# mono is good to start. it will backlash less as it's stiffer.
Tighten the spool tension so that the lure JUST falls under it's own weight if you hit the thumb bar. The spool should stop within one turn when the lure hits the ground. Check this frequently.
Learn to cast with the reel handle straight up or down (depending on if your using a RH or LH reel) by rotating your wrist. This will keep inertia out of the spool and save allot of backlash's.
Practice on the lawn with a hookless lure/practice plug nightly. 10, 1/2 hr practice sessions will do more for you than one frustrating day on the water.
Lastly, because backlash's will happen, Check youtube for "how to remove birds nest" video's. There is a common method for getting them out that works VERY well.

Good luck

p.s. Use a spinning reel when lure /line weight dictate. They don't backlash Smile

Posted Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:59 pm

I will second (third, fourth?) that you would be better off learning on a Revo than a Black Max. But I will also say that I learned on a SilverMax and still own two of them along with several Revos and a ProMax. They are all very decent and perfectly castable reels. When I bought my first SilverMax the guy at Dicks showed me how to adjust it. Sure I got birds nests, I still do (as the man said, don't cast into the wind). I also only use braid on my baitcasters as it is easier to get the birds nests out.

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:19 am

So much depends on the reel brand too.... I have an Abu Garcia Silver Max, two Black Maxes and I bought an Abu Garcia Orra SX - absolutely love that reel - took it out the first time and had a ball with it.... smooth casting, adjustments made the reel act exactly like I wanted it too.... recently I bought a Quantum Escalade reel, similar in price, size etc., and that thing will cast a country mile with the least amount of effort.... bad thing is, if you put any effort into it, the thing will backlash like a MF'er!!! If you load the rod, the reel will backlash. For me to be able to use it regularly, I would have to retrain my whole baitcaster casting actions - too damn old to do that - the reel went back to the store.
Use what you are comfortable with - teaming the reel up with the right rod will help too - Enjoy!!

Posted Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:03 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links