I've decided that I'm gonna be upgrading my gear this year. I'm sick of looking at pads and being scared to toss a frog near them. Most of the places I fish have tons of weeds anyway so I figure it's a good investment.

I've got it kinda narrowed down to the Lews Speed Spool 7.1:1 or the BassPro PQ 7.1:1 for the reel. Unless you guys have any better ideas either close in price or a better deal for the money.

The rod I was just gonna go with a relatively inexpensive med/heavy 7ft since I do most of my fishing out of my small kayak. Once again, unless you guys have a better suggestion.

I'm going to bass pro tonight but I've told myself I wont be making any impulse decisions lol.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:31 pm

What about the bps Johnny Morris carbonlite bait casting combo? That seems about the price range ur looking at.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:44 pm

That's a pretty cool combo, I didn't see that before. I'll have to check it out tonight.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:24 pm

alex listen to my buddy james he knows what he's talking about if you don't want to go towards BPS brands i highly recommend lews reels for sure, my recommendation is a lews speed spool lfs and a 7ft to 7ft 3in st croix mojo bass

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Lews reels all day long. I just got one of the LFS series. It's better than any of my Abu's

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:09 pm

ya i have 2 LFS speed spools best reel for under 100$

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 pm

simplenate

Actually I have this one http://www.lews.com/casting-teamlewslite.php
But I think all of the lews reels are awesome. I have 3 different ones but thes LFS is my favorite

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 pm

woo! big spendah over here lol where'd you end up buying em shawn? I've seen on ebay a few times for a lil cheaper your an amazon guy right?

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:51 am

I get most of my reels off ebay. Paid 188 for that one

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:59 am

lews makes quality reels. i think i'm going to get another.

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 am

shawneramone

simplenate

Actually I have this one http://www.lews.com/casting-teamlewslite.php
But I think all of the lews reels are awesome. I have 3 different ones but thes LFS is my favorite

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. So I broke down at BPS last night. I almost ended up getting that Johnny Morris carbonlite combo but the guy at the store talked me into the PQ 7.1:1 reel. So I got the JM Carbonlite 7ft med/heavy rod with it.

You guys have sold me on the Lews reels though. I'm gonna learn how to cast with this thing and then upgrade to the Lews reel once I get the hang of it and have a few trips with it under my belt.

Thanks again!

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:33 am

shawneramone

Lews reels all day long. I just got one of the LFS series. It's better than any of my Abu's

Quiet the endorsement, might have to look into one of the LFS series to replace my Black Max. Was looking at the Diawa Lexa 100 as well, similar price point but have not used either brand before.

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Cranking with my right hand and maneuvering the bait with my left doesn't feel natural to me with the baitcaster. With the spinning reel I would crank with my left.

Is this a normal learning curve or should it almost feel natural to make this switch with the different style rod?

I do some stuff left handed and other things right handed so before I go using this thing I wanna know if I should exchange it for a lefty reel.

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:16 pm

for the price u can't beat a curado !!

Posted Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:17 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links