I'm relatively new on the trout scene (started early this spring) so i'm not really locked in to the stocking timeline. What is the timeline for fall trout stocking (when does it begin and end, respectively?)

Posted Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 pm

It is all about water temp. At least another month, probably closer to the end of Oct.

Posted Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Last week of Sept-Columbus day weekend

Posted Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:51 pm

oh you mean when the state feeds the big larrys

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:01 am

in the past the worcester telegram has reported that the fall trout stocking starts when the water temps dip below 68 degrees. Deep ponds will hold over trout throughout the summer so you don't really have to wait for the stocking. I'll fish for them deep in warm water conditions in the summer, but usually by mid to late september you can find them in shallower water.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:05 pm

sull155

in the past the worcester telegram has reported that the fall trout stocking starts when the water temps dip below 68 degrees. Deep ponds will hold over trout throughout the summer so you don't really have to wait for the stocking. I'll fish for them deep in warm water conditions in the summer, but usually by mid to late september you can find them in shallower water.

that's the thing is that I prefer fishing trout shallow when they're fattening up for winter or in the rivers once they fill 'em up. My main concern is in catching a brownie before the end of the year because I haven't caught one before

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:02 pm

baystateangler

sull155

that's the thing is that I prefer fishing trout shallow when they're fattening up for winter or in the rivers once they fill 'em up. My main concern is in catching a brownie before the end of the year because I haven't caught one before

Fly fish! There are many FFO sections that I would be surprised if you don't catch a brown in.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:23 pm

slabosourous

baystateangler

sull155

Fly fish! There are many FFO sections that I would be surprised if you don't catch a brown in.

I would like to get into fly fishing, but it just isn't convenient for me at the moment. Hopefully I'll get a setup and some flies by spring maybe.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:04 pm

baystateangler

slabosourous

baystateangler

sull155

I would like to get into fly fishing, but it just isn't convenient for me at the moment. Hopefully I'll get a setup and some flies by spring maybe.

Consider it in the "off season" and PM me if you need any help for what to get. Problem with browns is they stock a disproportionately small amount in lakes and ponds so it's really like weeding through rainbows to find them, not that that's bad. Plus some ponds just don't get any, or at least it seems like it. Either find a pond that gets a lot (many of them are near Plymouth/the Cape) or find a river. But Last week of Sept-mid Oct is when they usually stock, if all goes right.

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:20 pm

You can check the Division of Fisheries & Wildlife stocking schedule here:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/trout-stocking-schedule.html

It's not updated yet. They still have the old spring info, but keep checking.

You can also call the Division of Fisheries & Wildlife district offices for recorded info on stocking.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/about-masswildlife/district-offices.html

Posted Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:08 pm

baystateangler

sull155

ive been out where i cant keep the browns off! that was an awesome day got into a huge school. hooked into a monster. cape pond. late fall!

caught some decent fish at night on jerkbaits. big browns play at night!

Posted Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:17 pm

typically it's based on water temp but it's almost always on or just after sept 26

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Stocking was scheduled to start today based on water temps. Ponds that are stocked will not be posted according to MaWdlf. Same ponds that are normally stocked will be stocked.

Click on the above link for the info!

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:13 pm

stocked in the spring will be stocked in the fall. Only the places underlined in the stocked waters list receive fish in the fall

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/trout-stocking-schedule.html

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:14 pm

so masswildlife isn't going to report which bodies of water they have stocked this fall? dang

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:09 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links