I love me some top water action at dusk and dawn, but what about in the middle of the night. I work over night shift 6pm to 6am and I am able to sneak out for an hour or two. I usually speed over to some of the local ponds up on the north shore.

If I am out there around 2am, is it likely that fish would hit a top water lure. Granted, it would scare the s*** out of me if it happened haha. But I was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Posted Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Don't think that you are limited to only top water! Try a chatterbait, spinnerbait with colorado blades, even a big worm or creature bait!

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:29 am

Bass see very well in low light meaning a variety of presentations can catch fish at night. Try it out and see what happens!

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 am

slammers. jitterbugs. spooks, ive heard frogs work

i like using anything with vibration. chattersbaits. big plastics. i go slow.

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:22 am

bassturds

slammers. jitterbugs. spooks, ive heard frogs work

i like using anything with vibration. chattersbaits. big plastics. i go slow.

X2, I've done very well fishing topwater baits with a slow retrieve this year during the night and early morning before the sun comes up.

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:39 am

did good one night with large 6 inch brush hogs texas rigged on bottom slow! they were purple. different pond that night i used black blue missle d bombs texas rigged on bottom slow.

few weeks ago perch slammer was the ticket.

last week black blue chatter bait

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:20 am

Late night fishing is my favorite time to go. All but one of my top 10 fish are in the wee hours. Including my personal best which I landed around 3 am. It depends on the water type but for some reason around here I have a lot more luck with a strike king spinner bait half ounce. People say color matters, but for the most part, solid colors will do. Roll it so let it fall jig it, make some noise.

Up in NH I have more luck on the 3/8 ounce jointed jitterbug. Sucks that China makes them different now, you likely will want to mod the spoon to get the action right, but when it goes prepare for explosions.

Posted Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:24 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links