Just recently set up a rig for fishing big swimbaits. Does anyone have any advice before I sign my life over.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:40 pm

i throw both regular bass gear and swimbaits. i was using a swimbait and got only 1 tiny pickerel. i switched up to a texas rigged plastic and caught 7.5lbs larry!

but ive been in situations where swimbaits worked for the big bass and the regular bass gear caught nothing.

doesnt help much

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Nope, sign you're life over. I did. Buy an MS Slammer and don't look back.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:27 pm

temp32

Nope, sign you're life over. I did. Buy an MS Slammer and don't look back.

Shocked can I buy an insurance policy in case I lose the lure? $40-65 a piece is pretty pricey.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:00 pm

Ya they sell 40 lb braid. That's my insurance lol.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:02 pm

fishing big swimbaits with braid line is very risky, if you have a backlash you will lose your bait for sure. you need some stretch on your line. i go with either copolymer or fluro. im actually throwing glide baits instead. the swaver is a pretty good starting bait without breaking the bank.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:39 pm

It's definitely a commitment! A lot of chucking looking for that big fish. I don't have the patience or the shoulder to do it! Laughing

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 pm

hudds hudds hudds hudds! nuff said

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:03 pm

I've been fishing them non-stop for 2 years and haven't had anything snap off yet. 40 lb braid is pretty tough to snap unless a big pickerel gets teeth on it.

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:29 am

Swimbaits don't work. Invest in Senkos.

Wink

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:41 am

How do you guy set your drag when fishing swimbaits? I throw mine on 50 lb. braid with a 30 pound fluorocarbon leader (about 8 feet). I have been cranking my drag as tight as it gets, figuring no bass is going to be able to do anything to my strong line, and having the drag down makes it quicker when I get stuck in a branch- not having to tighten t down and then set it again. Curious as to what you guys do?

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 am

I usually fish a locked down drag. Sometimes I back it off a few clicks. I run 20# P-line mono and also 40# pound braid with a 30# Leader when throwing swimbaits.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Cool, I think the locked down drag works pretty well. And btw, how big was that one in the picture above? Very nice fish

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:16 pm

catfishkid

Cool, I think the locked down drag works pretty well. And btw, how big was that one in the picture above? Very nice fish

Only 5-11. Pictures can be deceiving. Wink

The locked down drag is crucial because you want to get large fish in the net fast. The longer you fight them and play them out the more chances they get to throw the hook, jump and spit the bait, break you off, etc. I also fish an 8.5' long rod so that will help absorb some of the short runs that big fish try to take.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links