Hi everyone

I have been fishing a really small pond in a MA neighborhood for about 2 years. It gets little to no fishing pressure besides myself and a friend. It has crappy shore access so we put a jon boat on it. It has been money for us in 2013 and 2014. However, this year we have been there 5 times throughout the season and haven't caught a single bass, not even a nibble. The water is as dirty as water gets so its hard to even look for signs of life. Still lots of tutles, but no signs of fish.

My question for everyone is have you seen this on any of your small ponds or heard of any Bass kills in ponds from the rough winter we had in New England this past year. I am really bummed that this pond is skunking us.

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:55 pm

yes, it happened to my favorite pond in 2011 and happened to lots of places last year. It will regenerate in time.

Posted Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Yup, my main pond didn't produce this year. In a year or two it'll be back

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:36 am

A couple of my go to places that were shallow and around 100 acres were far less productive this year than last.

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:27 am

Yes and it really sucks!

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:48 am

Thank you for the responses guys. Do you think transplanting some bass from some of my other productive spots will quicken the process? My fear is that everything died.

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:48 am

gsantos

Thank you for the responses guys. Do you think transplanting some bass from some of my other productive spots will quicken the process? My fear is that everything died.

As much as I've contemplated it myself, as tempting as that is and although it might seem to make perfect sense to do on the outside, it is illegal to do in our state.

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:51 am

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. That is good to know. I actually didn't know that was illegal.

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:56 am

The transport laws were basically put into place to protect
our waters from the spread of nuisance species and to prevent the spread of disease. As good of intent someone may have, the after affect may have devastating effects in the long run that may be irreversible. It really does make sense.

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:04 am

gsantos

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. That is good to know. I actually didn't know that was illegal.

Kind of like the lead sinker law! Wink

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 am

don51

gsantos

Exactly, lol.

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:47 pm

don51

gsantos

And I know I'll regret this.....

Not really. A few loons may die from some lead sinkers. An invasive species or disease can destroy an entire ecosystem or cause it to collapse eventually. For every negative action there is another reaction. And in 3...2...1...

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Did you know this guy was really an old Italian playing the part?

Iron Eyes Cody was an American actor born Espera or "Oscar" DeCorti, the son of two first-generation immigrants from Italy. He impersonated Native Americans in Hollywood films. He also played an Indian shedding a tear about litter in one of the country's most well-known television commercials, "Keep America Beautiful".

At least Tonto (Jay Silverheels, born Harold John Smith) was a real Indian, albeit from Canada!

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:35 pm

pocketfisherman

The transport laws were basically put into place to protect
our waters from the spread of nuisance species and to prevent the spread of disease. As good of intent someone may have, the after affect may have devastating effects in the long run that may be irreversible. It really does make sense.

Ever heard the term slippery slope?

Posted Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:08 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links