Thinking about getting a spool for my bank fishing, instead of using a flouro leader with the braid, all of my breakoffs have come at the uni knot, not many but want to reduce this. Any one have any experience with this product.

Posted Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:31 pm

At a few ponds I fish that are weedy and shallow, a long cast with a Yum Dinger with a flouro leader is the only thing that gets bit at times
Straight braid works but the water is pretty clear. Straight flouro and mono are hard to cast so the braid leader combo works well but with big fish and lots of weed the weak link of the uniknot is the point of failure

Posted Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:20 pm

I prefer spiderwire, started with it years ago and then tried most of the other brands, now back to it. I also hate flouro leaders and only use a mono leader for dropshot, otherwise straight braid.

Posted Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 pm

i agree with rangerdanger....i also use a small barrel swivel for the connection - if you don't like fluoro, a copolymer or even mono will work. if you use colored markers like the spike it pens, you can run up and down the line in a couple places with different colors to camouflage it some. a black sharpie works to, but i like the idea of the garlic scent over marker scent

Posted Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:13 am

want to follow up on this....the reason i do this instead of a knot ( there are some effective ones ) is to use a good quality bearing swivel to help eliminate line twist you can sometimes get with dropshotting

Posted Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:23 am

i usually always use a leader

Posted Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:23 pm

i was just reading reviews on p-line fluoro clear and they were so good i'm thinking of using it for almost all of my reels....i'll use braid for frogging and heavy flipping ...i think that'll simplify things in the boat, making each setup a little more versatile. the p-line fluoroclear supposedly is tough and very low visibility...along with a good mix of sensitivity and stretch, or lack of. when i need stretch, i'll use a softer rod. it comes in all tests up to 20lbs.

Posted Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:23 pm

2 years agp I used the P-line fluroclear 6# for drop shotting. Last year I switched to braid with a fluro leader. I liked that better. Seemed more sensitive. I have no real complaints about the P-line though. I tried the spider wire but prefer power pro. I have no particular reason though. Just a personal feel.

Posted Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 pm

agreed - like the powerpro myself.... i've also used the suffix 832 and liked that as well...

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:33 am

Not a big fan of Spiderwire. Found that it frays easily and had it break off on me a few times. Rolling Eyes Powerpro seems much more durable. Then again, I'm not a big braid fan anyway!

Last edited by don51 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:04 am

line preferences are subjective. everyone has there own experiences. I found powerpro and spiderwire about equal but powerpro wind knots were harder to get out. suffix 832 is the only one that ever broke on me. this year I am trying Daiwa J-braid, fairly new, real slippery stuff, anybody use it yet?

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:33 am

which one of the sunlines do you like.....dyneema or fx2 - technique specific ?

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:30 pm

I really like the spiderwire stealth a LOT. I have been using it for a few years and I fish 2-3 days a week. Its just crisp and casts very well, it lays on the spool well... nice and soft. Some other braids are too abrasive or waxy and thick. I have 15# spooled up on a medium spinning rig and 10# on a ML setup with a #10 or 6# flouro leader. I have also been using a Yucatan knot to join them when I fish clear water. Google it, I came across an article a while back and now its the only way I'll join 2 different lines. More often than not I have the 15# tied directly to the hook. The fish dont seem to mind.

Posted Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links