I've been checking out multiple parts of the Sudbury River due to all ponds being frozen (pretty much all). Anyways, I have been to 2 places (I fish from the shore) and my deeper fish finder says that there are literally no fish in the areas i've been fishing... So my question is, how can I tell that there should be fish in an body of water before I go out to it? I know there are fish in the Sudbury River I just am confused haha. (this is my first season actually fishing rivers)

Posted Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:56 pm

If only it were that easy! Laughing

Posted Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Rivers are hard to fish. Everything looks good but only certain areas hold fish. Let me know when you figure it out

Posted Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:59 pm

I would say that most fish don't show up on a ff. Only way to know is to fish. That's what it's all about.

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:25 am

here are some tips I found for you on line...good luck Get a Pair of Polarized Glasses – Depending on what river you plan on fishing in you may be able to see through the water with a good pair of polarized glasses. By being able to visually locate fish you can prevent a lot of wasted time searching for them.
Bottom Bounce Live Bait – An effective method for catching fish in a river is to use live bait and bounce it off the bottom. There are several types of fishing rigs that can accomplish this and will help present your bait more naturally. Make sure you also bounce your live bait with the current, and never against it.
Find the River’s Backwaters – Some of the most popular game fish that can be found in a river aren’t too fond of heavy currents. Largemouth bass are a great example of game fish that will inhabit backwater creeks that break off the river and reenter it downstream.
Find the Weeds – If you can locate a calm area of a river that has weed growth then you’ve most likely found a prime fishing location. Since weeds aren’t very common in rivers, fish will group together in calm areas of the river with weed growth. Don’t be shocked to find a monster largemouth bass hiding in one of these areas.
Fish Near the Islands – A lot of rivers will have islands in them and the slack area of these islands can hold some nice fish for you to catch. Be careful trying to wade out to any river islands because drop offs can appear out of nowhere and send you and your tackle downriver.
Talk to the Locals – The local bait and tackle shop or even fishermen along the shore can give you some great insight on what the best methods are for fishing in a nearby river. The actual location of fish in a river can be greatly affected by the weather and the moon. Locals who fish in the river often will be able to educate you on the best time and location to fish in the river.

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 pm

snow66 that's good information, exactly how to fish a river. there are spots you will always find fish, spots you sometimes find fish, and spots you will never find fish. its tough to do that from shore. carp fishing from shore is usually pretty good if you want to try that. for bass I prefer the charles over the sudbury.

Posted Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:23 pm

The proof is in the picture. Nice catch Oldfisher Exclamation

Posted Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links