Been out a dozen times but always the same spot. Ive fished it for the past three years and its always been good. So far this year the bass have been scattered and small. Most of my sucsess have come on either a spinner, square bill, or small jerk bait. Its early but i always wonder if its me, the weather, or the fishery.

Whats working for everyone else?

Posted Sun May 01, 2016 6:43 pm

I've been out many times to several local haunts since mid-March with very mixed results. There are so many variables as we all know.
Where are the fish depth-wise, and what are they feeding on?

I'm focusing on LMB, and that's my primary measure, but I've caught quite the assortment on bass baits - in additional to the usual pickerel and yellow perch, a black crappie and even a sunfish.

At the beginning of the month I did well with a perch crankbait, craw crankbait, and soft craw on a jig. Senkos weren't producing much, though I got a few fish when I went deep with one on a jig. Yesterday they started to hit wacky Senkos, and I did even better with a soft plastic lizard.

Some of those baits were highly dependent on where I fished, I suppose, but I tend to move through the options fairly quickly and try different baits if one's not producing. Maybe I need to be more patient. Smile

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 5:03 am

It's the weather! I have fished a number of different ponds recently with pretty much the same results. A small bass here and there mixed in with perch and pickerel. Water temps really need to come up a few degrees. We are also into pre spawn which makes them even more finicky. Keep on plugging away! Wink

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 6:32 am

i smoked em yesterday afternoon! bite has been good to me so far! stilll waiting on that tank tho! only caught one pushin 5 this year!
numbers have been good!

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 7:33 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links