Was fishing in my kayak the other day using a frog and got a bite so I went to set the hook and my medium Berkley Lightning Rod explodes in half! I still had to hand pull the bass in and it was only 1lb 50oz .
So now I have to buy a new casting rod ,what should I get next med/heavy ?
Something that will not break the bank, I like to use frogs a lot in the summer .

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:14 pm

That's insane to me. The lightning rod is a beast, I've had mine 4+ years and have caught ridiculous amount of fish on it, including about 100 stripers. My friend was in the same boat in terms of his thoughts on the rod, incredibly durable/reliable. Not the most sensitive or lightest, but ridiculously good value.

I'm assuming you picked that up at walmart? If so you more than likely can just go swap it out if you have the receipt, and if not just say missing receipt and do a direct exchange. Just be honest about it too, tell them it snapped on a small bass.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Yep Walmart bought but no receipt I ended up tossing it away . Was think of getting the med/heavy from Bass Pro with the 2 year Gear Guard .
Bass Pro Shops Graphite Series Casting Rod
Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Series Trigger Rod
Shakespeare Ugly Stik Elite Casting Rod
They all under $55. and with a 2 year gear guard I should be good to go if that ever happens again.
Never had one explode like that before just a couple of weeks ago I caught 6 big bass , 5lbers - 3lbers with the same pole on top water bates must had been to much for it?

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Like I said, I've caught hundreds of fish on my lightning rod. Pretty much all my striper were caught on my lightning rod, which are far more powerful than LMB. You probably just got very unlucky. You should bring it in and tell them you tossed the receipt and would like to do a direct exchange. More often than not they are fine with that.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:45 pm

First, use a heavy rod for frog fishing.

Second, any kind of nick or crack in a rod will compromise it and cause it to "explode." It happens.

But maybe it comes down to using a medium rod for frog fishing.

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:04 am

Wrong rod for frogging! Not enough backbone. Go MH or H.

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:28 am

Will I got 2 new rods both MH an with both I got a 2 year warranty on each, I'ill bet nothing will happen until the 3rd year.

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:18 am

Rods break, never get attached to them. I broke two the last two weeks, and hopefully the replacements will be at my door when I get home.

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:35 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links