So I'm looking for any small ponds or lakes that hold carp. I'm in the lowell area so I fish the merimac and concord a lot but I'm looking for somewhere new. I've heard of a small pond off milk street in methuen that supossedly has them but I don't wanna waste a day for nothing. Anyone know of anything?

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:22 pm

You mean Milk street up North of Lawrence?

Funny enough I was just talking about those ponds in another thread and yes they do have carp in them.

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Well that's good I know there's another pond attached to it. Are there carp in there.

Are there any other ponds like that in my area that you may know of.

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Freeman Lake in Chelmsford has them. Someone on here also told me there is a canal down the street from Freeman Lake near the mill restaurant whose name escapes me, that has Carp and Koi in it.

Posted Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 am

is that can Alan Freeman Lake near the bottom tip I'm looking at it on Google Maps it looks like s good place. Looks like ill have to try both spots out. Thanks for the help

Posted Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 pm

is that can Alan Freeman Lake near the bottom tip I'm looking at it on Google Maps it looks like s good place. Looks like ill have to try both spots out. Thanks for the help

Posted Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Horn Pond in Woburn has carp in there. Always see these old timers fishing by the boat ramp. You would think they'd be fishing for trout but instead carp. Saw the guy land a nice size one too.

Posted Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Not meaning any disrespect here. Growing up I used to think that carp were in just about every body of water and still find it fascinating that guys #1 WANT to fish for them and #2 Don't always find them. Seriously' they were always plentiful in every body of water I usually ever fished at and when I'd see them so big, plentiful and jumping out of the water, my uncles or friends would always just shrug them off and say things like " Don't bother, it's only a carp", so I came to feel the same way about them. There wasn't much skill involved in catching them either. You put on a dough ball or some corn and then just held on to your rod. Only the Chinese people around the ponds and lakes where we fished would get excited to see them. It's probably not fair, but I just never saw the attraction in them. As I grew older, I do understand that different people enjoy fishing for even carp and other species as well.

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:44 am

I remember growing up Carp fishing Spt pond, Little Spy, Alewife Brook, and Jerry pit just to name a few. All we needed was a loaf of Wonder bread and a bunch of hooks and we caught some beasts. I broke a couple reels reeling these monsters in and ending up hand lining them to shore. We had a ball. I can still remember like it was last week.

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:39 am

pocketfisherman

Not meaning any disrespect here. Growing up I used to think that carp were in just about every body of water and still find it fascinating that guys #1 WANT to fish for them and #2 Don't always find them. Seriously' they were always plentiful in every body of water I usually ever fished at and when I'd see them so big, plentiful and jumping out of the water, my uncles or friends would always just shrug them off and say things like " Don't bother, it's only a carp", so I came to feel the same way about them. There wasn't much skill involved in catching them either. You put on a dough ball or some corn and then just held on to your rod. Only the Chinese people around the ponds and lakes where we fished would get excited to see them. It's probably not fair, but I just never saw the attraction in them. As I grew older, I do understand that different people enjoy fishing for even carp and other species as well.

I used to feel the same way about carps. As a matter of fact, carp was my first introduction to fishing as a kid because it was easy, convenient, and cheap. I grew up fishing the Concord and Merrimack River in Lowell riding my bike around town fishing different spots and that was all we ever fished for because it was that easy and convenient. Sure we use to shrug our shoulders when we see a buddy land a 10 pounder or 15 pounder. Use to think they were really easy to catch until I caught my biggest carp of my entire life last year. It came out 31lbs out of the Merrimack in Haverhill. I never looked at carp fishing the same way after. Now I know why these die hard carp fishermen fish for them religiously because they put up some serious fight especially if you hook into a 30lb+ and they don't come by easily. There's a reason why they get that big. Intelligence.

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:33 am

I grew up bass fishing in a pond behind my house my whole life but I always wanted to catch bigger fish. I uswd to do a lot of saltwater fishing and after catching a 40inch striper large mouth never seemed big enough. When i found out about carp I had to catch one. I didn't realise how big they were and how hard they fought. The first on I hooked was on my bass set up and that thing spooled me. After that I've been hooked. There's nothing like having a giant carp on the end of your line hearing the spool stripping away is awsone. They fight hard as hell. And the best part is they are readily available that's what draws me in to it.

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:57 am

pocketfisherman

It is all good , your opinion's are your opinions.

Thing is this. They are not, contrary to popular belief in every water way. They are in many, but not every. Same with Bass to be fair. I mean they are widely spread, yet folks are still asking for swims in which to find them lol. I mean it is what it is.

Secondly, yes anyone can land a few carp with a tin of sweet corn a hook and a rod. Simple. Anyone can land bass with a worm a hook and a rod. Simple.

The thing is the more you get into it the more you learn. Once you start making baits both food and artificial ( yes we use a variety of pop up plastics as well as flies and other fake goodies too ) you learn that, while anyone can hook a few carp with a can of sweet corn and a hook. Not everyone can effectively fish for them. To target fish of trophy size, high 20's 30' 40's and beyond is far more complicated then simply tossing a line and waiting.

Carp fishermen, like all true anglers love to learn about the species. Takes a bit of learning watercraft and how ot read lakes and waters. How to find and target not only plenty of fish, but bigger fish. Where they go in the spring, summer, fall..what they do at night versus during the day..Just as a bass angler will chase bigger and bigger fish.

Yes, anyone with a hook and a worm can catch a bass, but the chances of catching big trophy bass are left to those that specialize in knowing how to target them. Same thing with Carp, there is a reason why most people catch massive 5-10 pound fish..while others repeatedly catch 30+ lb fish.

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:32 am

rokibass

I remember growing up Carp fishing Spt pond, Little Spy, Alewife Brook, and Jerry pit just to name a few. All we needed was a loaf of Wonder bread and a bunch of hooks and we caught some beasts. I broke a couple reels reeling these monsters in and ending up hand lining them to shore. We had a ball. I can still remember like it was last week.

I've caught some monsters out of alewife brook. Little spy at the end of alewife has some of the biggest carp I have ever seen.

Never fished Jerrys pit, any bass in there?

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 am

Kman I'm not sure if theres any bass in Jerry's but there are some monster carp. I haven't hit Jerry's many years. The whole area is fenced in. One of these nice days coming up I'll see if I can find a way in. Also there was a typo in my post Spy not Spt.

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 pm

rokibass

Kman I'm not sure if theres any bass in Jerry's but there are some monster carp. I haven't hit Jerry's many years. The whole area is fenced in. One of these nice days coming up I'll see if I can find a way in. Also there was a typo in my post Spy not Spt.

Seriously that sounds like an adventure worth having... No idea where this Jerry's is but now I am intrigued Wink

Posted Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links