Any bowfisherman out there in MA. I have never tried it, but have some interest and am looking for someone who does it to provide a little insight and information. Thanks

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 am

Went and checked out some gear today at a local place, pricing is definitely better online. Found some tutorials on building classic spool type reels online using pvc and heat to shape it. Might be a good way to experiment if I can figure out a good mounting method.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Bowfishing isn't fishing... it's hunting. What species do you plan to kill?

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Carp is legal in MA for bowfishing, which is why I figured this would be the right forum section to get some input.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:06 pm

There is no reasonable way to make "Bow fishing" a catch and release method of taking fish. This is why the majority of the members here consider this fishing method a form of hunting.

Before you go through the expense of procuring bow fishing gear; you may wish to answer this question:

Are you going to eat all the fish you catch?

There is really no point in killing a fish if you are not going to eat it.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:14 pm

99 percent of members here are catch and release. you won't find much support on this forum. are you planning on eating the carp?

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:14 pm

I do eat fish I catch on rod and reel, if taken with a bow and from clean water there is no reason not to eat it either. Part of the reason for my inquiry, the ct river has carp, and also has questionable water quality when it comes to eating fish. It is too bad one has to defend a position on a legal activity. MA has quite a lot of restrictions without people getting up in arms about the very few things we have yet to legislate to death.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:45 pm

oldfisher

99 percent of members here are catch and release. you won't find much support on this forum. are you planning on eating the carp?

I agree with you 100% oldfisher. If we all killed what we caught there would be nothing left. Even if its legal I don't have to support it.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:56 pm

stump

oldfisher

I agree with you 100% oldfisher. If we all killed what we caught there would be nothing left. Even if its legal I don't have to support it.

I Agree with STUMP and Old Fisherman.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:04 pm

stump

Even if its legal I don't have to support it.

No you don't have to support it, you also don't have join in an open discussion about a legal topic you want nothing to do with. I know there are bowfisherman who have posted on here, and am glad so far you guys have been more civilized in your responses here than some the other posts I have read a little further dated in your library. I decided in spite of the fact some of you might react poorly, I would inquire if anyone would offer positive input as to gear, locations, etc.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 pm

most guys here are fairly level headed and just give honest opinions. but it's a sore subject with fishermen who want to see the fish returned to be caught another day. It may be a legal activity but that doesn't make it ethical. good luck eating anything taken from mass. waters, I wouldn't.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 pm

I have eaten fish from some MA waters, there places that are clean enough to enjoy what you catch on the dinner table without risk. Especially if you don't eat fish everyday of the week. Must be that the economy is in excellent shape that we can take a moral high ground and try to suggest everyone, of all economic standing, can and should release everything they catch. I would even go so far as to say many knowing the response they will receive, will claim online to be catch and release fisherman, and in practice be doing something different.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:38 pm

gonzoac

stump

Even if its legal I don't have to support it.

No you don't have to support it, you also don't have join in an open discussion about a legal topic you want nothing to do with.

For someone who doesn't want people to join in on a open discussion unless its what you want to hear you don't have a problem running your mouth on a topic that you know isn't going to be supported. I think you enjoy the argument.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Most of the members who post regularly on this site have grown to be a tight knit group and have been on here for years. We know each other by either sharing information, meeting up and fishing together, fishing with and against each on various tournament trails etc etc. Most are catch and release! If you keep a few to eat that your decision. There is always a new person from time to time that trolls the site and joins just to start a controversy or try to make a point. Seems like your topic of discussion is prob not gonna be welcome to most here. Most people on this site would rather not discuss killing a fish for the fun of it. That is all.

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:50 pm

jamesd

Most of the members who post regularly on this site have grown to be a tight knit group and have been on here for years. We know each other by either sharing information, meeting up and fishing together, fishing with and against each on various tournament trails etc etc. Most are catch and release! If you keep a few to eat that your decision. There is always a new person from time to time that trolls the site and joins just to start a controversy or try to make a point. Seems like your topic of discussion is prob not gonna be welcome to most here. Most people on this site would rather not discuss killing a fish for the fun of it. That is all.

Well said James, I'll leave it at that. Back to work for me!

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links