Will be over in the us in natick first weekend in October and want to get in some carp fishing as I can't get home to the uk to do the same. Would really appreciate some advice on venues and tactics, any where I can hire gear locally or do I need to fly my gear out ?
Any helpful ideas would be really appreciated
Also do I need a licence to fish like in the uk ?

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:08 pm

You will need a license, most can be had from takcle shops or the towns own town hall. 1,3, and 7 day licenses are availible.

I don't know of anywhere you can rent out gear, so you may need to bring your gear with you.

Around natick, check out the Charles river or dug pond. The charles is known for some decent fish, and large numbers of 6-12lb fish that aren't pressured at all.

How long will you be state-side? A short drive up I495 can get you up my way (lawrence,ma) and wouldn't mind showing you a couple swims on the merrimack river.

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:14 pm

You do need a license, but the public access waters most of us fish have no 'day tickets' or other fees like in the UK. Here's the information page on fresh-water licenses:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/licensing/license_fees.htm

You can also find all the relevant fishing regulations on that web site.

The Charles river runs right through Natick, and has some nice carp, although probably not too big. I think the average is in the low teens. There are waters not too far with carp in the 20s and 30s, and the Merrimac river to the north is known for it's big girls.

Also, if you're on Facebook, check out the Wild Carp Club of New England group. The latest photo is of a 43 lb. mirror - some serious carpers there. Maybe one of the carp masters there would be willing to point out some of their good spots by email, seeing as you're a visitor.

You have a fellow Brit who posts on this board who lives in the same area. Hopefully he'll chirp in as well.

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Bah..shame your doing that weekend sadly. I've actually helped a few folks out now from the other side of the pond..got a full set of rods reels alarms pod etc etc and I'm always making bait Sad Sadly Oct 1st/2nd I'm already doing something. I maybe able to free it up though I doubt it..maybe we can talk more about what your looking for and how long you'll be round etc

If you fish the Merrimack tidal sections from the one bridge in Haverhill to the ocean you do not need a license. Which is where I've taken most folks as it gets rid of all the complications and/or costs and has some big fish potential. Nice how that works though I dunno how much longer they will keep it that way now that you need a salt water license...

No freshwater (inland) fishing license is required on the Merrimack River seaward of the first upstream bridge (northbound traffic) of Route 495 in Haverhill

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Last edited by blackstonecarp on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Learn something every day, I never knew that about that section of the merrimack!

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Fantastic help gents ! I will be over for the weekend of the 8/9th of October. Might be able to bring some gear (good old delta airlines). I'll buy a short term licence assuming they will sell one to a dodgy foreigner. Looks like I will now be staying in Boston, but your suggestions are great. Never realised you guys fished for carp, I thought it was all bass fishing. I'm over next week for a few days (no fishing opportunities though) so may drive around and have a look at the Charles river on Monday. Are there any local do's and dont's rig or bait wise ? Do you guys do nights or is it only day time fishing ?
I normally fish semi fixed bolt rigs with braid or mono hook links, using either bottom or pop up baits are these allowed ?
Anyone who wants to fish that weekend feel free to let me know, would appreciate the pointers ! Only ever fished lakes for carp, never really had the opportunity to fish a river but who knows.
Really appreciate the help gents.
Banked s 30 pounder mirror last year, just the 2 twenties this year so maybe a big US slab will do it !
Tight lines !

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:23 pm

You can fish the Charles right in downtown Boston. A park runs along the bank with plenty of fishing access. The river is dammed at its mouth, so it's not tidal there, and the biggest carp in the Charles are probably right there.

Here's a photo of the Charles river in Boston. Two stars mark places where people see and catch carp. The star to the left is where the Muddy river (a stream) flows into the Charles - carp are known to feed there. The other is along the adjacent Esplanade park - anywhere along there is fine. The arrow points down to the Massachusetts avenue/Harvard bridge, which provides pedestrian access to the river. There's a major roadway between the city and the river there, so you can only cross to the river at limited locations.

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Cheers mate, would never have imagined you could fish in the city!. I will probably try the river further inland towards natick as I know it's lovely in that neck of the woods. The quietness and scenery are part of the relaxation piece for me.
If the car blows up it's a great fallback plan. You guys are so helpful, English carpets are generally miserable, selfish gits so a refreshing change !
Can't wait to do a reccy on Monday
Cheers
Mickey

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Well 8th and 9th are free..when you said first weekend I thought you meant 1st/2nd of which I am busy!

That said I do have a spare set of 2.25 lb test curve 12 foot rods with Daiwa reels, extra alarms a fox pod that holds 4 rods etc etc.

As I said we could hit a sweet spot on the Merry for some big fish if you'd rather, I know a couple of spots that could produce 30+ commons that time of year...and not need a license.

Regardless I'm down to fish anywhere if ya need use of the gear. You can check out our website www.blackstonecarp.com to see what we are about if you'd like.

I've heard that before heh..One guy that wrote me via our site was amazed I even wrote back, let alone took him to the banks no charge...he said most of the Brit peeps wouldn't have even written him back...I also post on a few sites over there, most notably the Back of the Landing Net site ( http://www.backofthelandingnet.co.uk/ )which I help moderate, maybe you've heard of them? Great bunch of anglers UK side doing a cancer research match on little Hayes Oct 1st/2nd..which I am filming an episode over hear as part of, since I can't fish with them Sad

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 pm

I can bring some gear over as Delta business class allows you 3 bags so I'll bring rods/reels. Is it a 2 rod limit ? (In the UK often 4 are allowed)
What about landing nets/unhooking mats (here in the UK it's always 1 per angler)
Assuming it's day fishing only should I bring my day chair along ? Pod/optonics ?
I'll bring a rig pouch and some terminal tackle, also I'll check when I come through this week what the rules are on bait (boilies etc..)
Like I say I'm over this week for a few days so if you are able to be in the natick area one evening I'd like to buy you a beer !
Cheers man, this will make a 2 week stint away from the wife + kids much easier !

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:06 am

Rules are pretty lax on bait in Massachusetts. You pretty much can do anything but use dynamite LOL.

We use Particles,Boilies,Pop-ups, ground baits, worms ETC you get the picture LOL.

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:41 am

One more thing to think about - it rains about one day out of three, and they come in clusters. And we've just cooled off in the last few days. Here's a weather site:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=natick%20ma

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:56 am

Wet weather gear also then ! Have to say you guys put the Brits to shame with your help !

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Typical ! work plans have changed and will not be over that weekend now. Maybe later in the month? Thanks again for all of your help and info. Be in touch again.
Tight lines !

Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links