For anyone who want to know where walleye are...

I know they are in...

Connecticut river
Merrimack river
Quabbin Reservoir

someone can chime more info on different location.

Anyway, what is walleye's rig to use for catching them? I am completely idiot for this.

I might use shiners, small crankbaits, and small jigs.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm

I know it's not in Mass but Lake Champlain might be your best bet for Walleye in New England. I have no idea how to purposely target them. I've only caught them while fishing for bass

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Yeah, they are easily caught at New york. You can look at my youtube on "walleye underwater footage" one of walleye was around 15-16 pound easily! its on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL6I-wy8_U0. It is walleye spawn season in which I cannot fish at all.

Anyway, they are delicious to eat!

I have personally landed 10 pound walleye at this year on flyfishing for salmon! Quite surprise for me! will upload picture at later when I can

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Best thing for walleye is worm harnesses with orange beads and a silver and blue colorado or willow leaf blade fished off a three way drifting or trolling. You can also catch them using jigs and rapalas but the warm harness is the best. There are alot of variables in catching walleye like water temp, depth and light conditions. In the spring the fish are shallow and best caught at night, during the summer deeper water is best. I spent about 10 years catching these things on lake erie and still go back a couple times a year. I can give u more specfics if u want.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:16 pm

prov1 - Allright, sound good. I know what you mean by worm harnesses. I never tried them before. I guess it wouldn't hurt either. haha

Did you fish for walleye in mass before? If yeah, give me little general idea at where you tend to fish at June-July. Since it is my only window from everything.

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 pm

This is walleye that I speak of my PB 10 pound walleye.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:07 am

I have never fished for walleye in ma. Mainly because i leave near boston and the only decent place is the conn. river. One thing to.keep in mind when using the worm harnesses is u have to be moving at least 1 mph or they will not work. Also june and july should be prime time for walleye fishing. In early june look shallow with rapalas at night once late june and july hit look deeper and go with the harnesses

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:17 am

Try bottom bouncing a jig (unleaded in Mass) with 1/2 of a night crawler in the CT. River. Your success will improve dramatically if you fish at night. My best night, where a friend and I caught about a dozen including several pin qualifiers, was just before a rain storm and we started hitting them around 9:30 at night. We had fished the exact same stretch of water for a couple hours prior to sundown and caught only smallmouth. Only after dark did the walleye turn on and we continue to see this happen a lot. By the way, the CT. Is loaded with smallmouth and fishing out of a kayak you can access water that regular boats can't get to and really hammer them. We had great success with a 4 in. Green power worm last year and between 3 of us would easily catch 50-60 fish on most trips. Some of them were surprisingly large. I caught and released one that was 21 inches long with a 14 inch girth. Easily over 5 lbs. I would give you more details on exact location but my friend would kill me!

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 am

q354fc - much thanks and I guess I can get the general idea how to go after them. I plan to fish evening to nighttime.

but can you explain more clarify about walleye jig? since there are so many kind of jigs such as crappie, perch, trout, and bass jig. I havent even know there is a jig for walleye. (I plan to use crappie jig for walleye)

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Any type jig will do. Just use one heavy enough to reach bottom. The weight needed can vary with the current but we generally try to use the lightest jig we can. I don't think color matters at all because you will be fishing in the dark. The piece of nightcrawler is what seals the deal. I have also caught them on crank baits, spinnerbaits, and Rapala type plugs but the jig/worm combo seems to out fish them all. just make sure you use a non-lead jig here in Mass.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:33 pm

ahs, sound good.

I was wondering if I use bottom bouncer along with worm harness and will it work well? Since it is similar with jig w/ worm?

p.s. is there lot of rocks in CT river or mixed from muddy to rocks bottom?

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Mostly sand/mud, some rocky areas and lots of fallen timber. Amazingly we get very few hang- ups on the bottom with jigs. I'm sure the worm harness would work well and may try it myself.

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:10 am

once the water warms up in july you cannot go wrong with a warm harness fished off a 3 way. The only down fall to using them is you need to have the right boat speed or else they will not spin. we usually use white jigs during the early season. If the conn. river wasnt over 2 hours away I would defiantly out their chancing walleye.

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:02 pm

q354fc - Allright, much thanks again for the advice!

Prov1 - Thanks again for walleye's advices.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 am

start at bartons cove and fish around the bridges tons of eyes around there

Posted Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links