I know that, in deeper water, the trout move deep to get cool as things heat up.

But, what happens to the trout in stocked in shallower ponds?

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 am

They either are all caught or sadly die. They will not hold over in shallow ponds. It is one of my pet peeves. Why stock trout in pond they cannot survive in. Seems like a waste of a resourse to me. Don't even get me going on where our fishing liscense $$ goes or does not go.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 am

That's what I thought, but I was hoping I was wrong.

Stratos, as always you have the answers. You are a great asset to this forum.

I guess, then I'm duty bound to try and catch as many trout in the shallow ponds I can, and take them home and eat them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm usually catch and release, but if they are going to die, then it's better they go in my belly.

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 am

I agree. Why not bring them to the dinner table if the alternative is crayfish food

Posted Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey, new to these forums, so any local pond that's stocked with trout will not support them all season? As I type this it's about 92 degrees out and I'm going out trolling the local (Haverhill) reclaimed pond for some trout with a leadcore setup. I was catching rainbows last week on dry flies after the heavy rain. Now I have a hard time believing that the hundreds or thousands of trout they stocked at these 2 places ALL die out around this time of year. I can see these places not being suitable for trout to breed, but many of the places I fish have areas 20-30ft deep at places. Shouldn't that be able to support a small population throughout the season? For me to understand you need to give examples of ponds that trout cannot live in all year that f&w stocks. I would be pretty upset if the trout died off every season completely.

Posted Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 pm

They stock the Norris Reservation in Norwell for some reason. Those two ponds do not have water deeper that 8 feet.

Posted Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Griswold Pond is Saugus. Maybe 8' deep at the most on a good day...

Check the MA F&G website and you will see a lot of these smaller ponds are only stocked in the Spring, versus the deeper ones Spring & Fall. One of the deeper ponds I fish definitely has fish that holdover-case being just yesterday AM I caught a tagged brown that was stocked in the Spring on 2012 (no prize as last years tournament).

Posted Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:12 pm

You have to come out West to find good trout fishing in the Hot Weather. Some of the rivers here are cold enough to hold trout all year .. Check the water data pages. they list flow and temp ..

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/uv?site_no=01175500

Posted Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links