I'm looking to get a kayak sometime this year, however I would like to try some out before I buy one. After doing a lot of searching online the old town predator and jackson cuda 12 are real stand outs to me. Does anyone know someplace around that I will be able to try these out come spring.

Also does anyone have any experience with these kayaks, or have any other recommendations?

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:19 pm

I know LL Bean has a training program and have try outs on Norton Rez, Check out the web page for info. Maybe something in your area.Good Luck.

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:47 am

In Mass, the only Jackson deal is Zoar in Charleton. Also, Saltwater's Edge in Newport, RI. The Old Town is probably easier to find though I can't point you in a particular direction. You should also paddle the Wilderness Systems Ride 115 or 135.

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:59 am

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:13 am

mikem

Also does anyone have any experience with these kayaks, or have any other recommendations?

Hi Mike,

I have the Cuda 12 and love it. I was torn between this and the Ride that Bloo mentioned. I test paddled both and ultimately the Cuda won me over because of the Seat and some of the design features. In retrospect I'm sure I would have been happy with the Ride but have no regrets. The boat is a great fishing platform.

I bought mine at Alden of Sunapee in NH. It's far but I saved the tax on it and made a family a weekend out of it. They had a great selection, a nice test facility and were very accommodating.

Good luck and when you get one join us for a Kayak tourney.

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:29 am

thanks for all the info guys.

I'm also curious how you transport you kayak. Anyone use foam blocks. Right now I drive a 98 corolla so i dont really want to invest in a several hundred dollar roof rack for a car that's gonna be worth less than the kayak itself.

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:45 pm

I have a rack system but I'm sure foam blocks and some good ratchet straps will work fine.

Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 pm

I went the pool noodle route for a year, but in the end I purchased a roof rack for my Civic.

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:54 pm

I chose the Wilderness Systems Ride 115, but as jjbagoose stated, I probably would have been happy with a Jackson as well. You are more than welcome to test out my kayak this spring - just let me know (I'm a few towns over from you and easy access to the Charles).

I used the foam blocks for a few months before getting a roof rack. The blocks will work, it can just get a little shakey on the highway. Don't forget to strap it down FRONT & BACK as well as over the top(just ask me how I know.....) and you should be fine.

Posted Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:38 am

And don't forget to tighten your roof rack every so often

Posted Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 pm

mainiac

I chose the Wilderness Systems Ride 115, but as jjbagoose stated, I probably would have been happy with a Jackson as well. You are more than welcome to test out my kayak this spring - just let me know (I'm a few towns over from you and easy access to the Charles).

I used the foam blocks for a few months before getting a roof rack. The blocks will work, it can just get a little shakey on the highway. Don't forget to strap it down FRONT & BACK as well as over the top(just ask me how I know.....) and you should be fine.

awesome, thanks for the offer

Posted Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links