Why do you fish for Carp?

Up untill the begining of the summer I really didn't know what a carp was. I knew that it was a type of fish but I didn't know that people fished for them. That all changed when my mom was volunterring at River Bend Farms one Saturday. I was poking around waiting for the event to end so we could go home, Then i ran into Erik Grubb (bedlem) and talked to him for a bit and found out that he was fishing for carp. So i asked a few questions and when we were leaving he told me that he would be down here next saturday and i was welcome to join him. Ever since then carp have been my favorite fish to catch. I like fishing for them because it is a challenge. There is so much to learn about them and their habits. Between dozens of diffrent types of bait's and rigs used to catch them. It is loads of fun and I find it so much diffrent from any other kind of fishing.

Posted Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:07 am

Well I am glad you ran into me bud. It has been some good times fishing with you, not to mention all the help you provide with events and other stuff.

I fish for em for the fun of it. It gives me plenty of options even when not on the banks to do something involved with fishing. From making baits to preparing swims to making rigs. I have fished for over 20 years and for a variety of species..and time and time again I come back to carp as the one species that has always been both challenging and rewarding for me.

I also enjoy the style of fishing. I am not one to cast again and again and again moving constantly from place to place in hopes of finding 1 fish before the 700 other guys on the lake do. I am much more of a ledgerer..staking my swim, preparing it and relying on my baits and rig design to pull fish to me over a long period of time. This allows me to spend a great deal of time with friends and socialize while doing what i love.

Is that to say I do not like other fishing? Heck no, please don't take it as such. I enjoy tossing lures, chunk baitin for blues, trolling for stripers and so on...Carp fishing is simply one of my passions..beyond just a hobby. I have read before that there are many types of fishermen..but most can fit into 2 categories; Generalists and Experts. Generalists tend to know a great deal about a broad variety of fish and styles but never truly master any one, a jack of all trades but truly skilled in the art. An Expert spends all his time learning and expanding his knowledge of one species and is by far one of the best in finding and catching that species. This is what I fall under, as I spend a great deal of time learning about carp..and while I know a good deal about fishing in general I am not a master of bass or trout or stripers or anything else. You want carp though..this i can do and do well!

Posted Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:34 am

I haven't had that many carp trips in my day, but everytime I've been out, it's been a good time. For me, the action isn't as fast as bass fishing, but to catch 1 or 2 over 10 or 15 pounds is worth the few hours sitting around, hanging out with friends, having a few beers, or whatever. It's nice and relaxing (as long as a freak rain storm doesn't pop up or a fish takes off with your rod!). That being said, you learn something knew on every trip...

Posted Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:53 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links