i made a mix of flour corn starch bread water bacon bites (things that go on salad) and some dog food. do u guys think this is going to work do u have any suggesttions, i am also new to carp fishing do u now of any places near framingham that have carp, i have heard that there are some huge carp in the cambridge resivoir.

Posted Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi Marc,
yes sounds ok, but corn Meal not starch. your close to me, i'm in Natick.
i fish the Charles a mile above and below South Natick Dam. Nice Carp there.
there are also some decent Carp and probably your best spot would be the Sudbury river and its very close to you. at the bridge on Rte 20 Framingham. go down the boat launch, there is parking there and fish that side, Or what i would recommend is park, and cross the ROAD so your on the other side of the bridge, i have fished there the past three saturday mornings and caught every time.
you need one more VERY important ingredient in your groundbait.... canned whole kernel CORN!! Sudbury river is a must for using corn.
only place near us where there are Carp and Corn is not permitted is Dug Pond as it is stocked yearly with trout.
My personal groundbait mixture is...
Plain Breadcrumbs, corn meal, of course whole kernel Corn, molasses and water to bind into a nice explosive scent ball.
Also another place for Big Carp including Mirror Carp (twice the fight!) would be Dudley Pond, Wayland off 27.
happy huntin!
need any more ideas, suggestions or sdvice let me know

ALL From the Sudbury River in one morning... 2 1/2 hours actually!

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:55 am

thanks i actualy live right near simpson park witch is part of the sudbury river and i frogot to add i also put some wet cat food just to add some sent thaanks im gunna add corn before i go

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:12 am

Corn is legal everywhere in Massachusetts..trout water or not.

Also bait is fine..but let us not forget the important bits..like a decent net to land them, a mat preferably ( a cheap mat for under sleeping bags can be bought and cut to size for about 5 dollars at walmart)and decent tackle to handle them. Also no treble hooks please..useless things.I've seen an influx of people on the banks lately that want to chase big fish..but have no gear what so ever for doing so and when lucky enough to get into one..either snap off altogether or beat the crap out of them on shore.

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 am

thanks i will take this into mind

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:24 am

blackstonecarp

Corn is legal everywhere in Massachusetts..trout water or not.

Hi Eric i wish someone would tell our local Warden here! i have seen with my own eyes equipment taken from Dug Pond, Natick by a Warden for using corn in that water.
i was no more than 15 ft away and heard the guy explaining that he didnt know corn was not to be used there and Warden didnt care.

The guy only had a single rod, reel, setup and just a bag with a couple of extra hooks in and a make shift rod rest from a whittled branch, but still.
he produced his liscence and ID had it accepted and returned, the warden took 2 steps and turned back and asked him what bait he was using.
He pulled out a ziplock bag of corn and he was screwed.

i really dont care either way, but i for one after witnessing that would not take the risk at Dug Pond personally.

Im just trying to warn people about Dug Pond... you CANNOT use Corn there.
You have been warned.

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:47 pm

You can, if the warden is taking things then he is not doing it legally. Here is the link for the states abstracts. There is nothing there against the use of corn or chumming. You can also call the EP at 1-800-632-8075 this will get you dispatch where you can ask the question and either they will answer of take your number and have an officer call you back.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

FISHING PROHIBITIONS
• Explosives
• Jug, toggle or trot line fishing.
• Lead Sinkers at Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoirs: The use of lead fishing sinkers, including, but not limited to, split shot, bullet weights, egg sinkers, slip sinkers, bell sinkers, pinch sinkers, rubber grip sinkers, bank sinkers, pyramid sinkers, or twist, strap or wraparound sinkers for the taking of fish in the Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoirs is prohibited. Lead fishing sinkers DO NOT include other lead fishing-related items such as artificial lures, jigs, lead-core line, down-rigger weights, keel sinkers, torpedo casting and trolling sinkers, or weighted flies.
NOTE: Lead fishing sinkers and jigs less than 1 ounce will be prohibited in all inland waters of the Commonwealth effective January 1, 2012.

More than two hooks for fishing or more than five hooks when ice fishing. A hook is defined as an angling device attached to a fishing line which is designed to take one fish at a time but is not limited to devices commonly called spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, lead head jigs or plugs.
• Possession of: Sturgeon (all species), American Brook Lamprey, Atlantic (sea-run) Salmon, Bridle Shiner, Burbot, Eastern Silvery Minnow, Lake Chub, Longnose Sucker, and Northern Redbelly Dace is illegal! If caught, release immediately. This means remove hook or cut line and return fish to water immediately—do not pose for photographs, place on a stringer, hold in a net, or delay in any way the immediate return and release of the fish to the water.
• Poisons
• Releasing fish or spawn into inland waters, except by permit.
• Rubbish in inland waters.
• Sale of freshwater fish without a permit.
• Snagging
• Transporting live fish (except bait for personal use) without a permit.

If there is an EP taking gear there based on the use of corn then it should be addressed because there is no law in MA about using corn. It is a rumor that needs to stop. The ONLY exception to this is certain catch and release only stretchs of rivers that may be designated as "artificial lures only" Obviously corn is not artificial and therefore would be against the rule.

CATCH-AND-RELEASE AREAS
Artificial lures only. No bait in possession.
• Housatonic River: From the Rte. 20 bridge in Lee downstream to Willow Mill Dam AND from Glendale Dam downstream to the RR bridge. No fishing from June 15—Aug. 31 inclusive within 100 feet of the mouths of posted tributaries: Beartown Brook; Goose Pond Brook; Hop Brook; and Mohawk Brook.
• Red Brook: From the outlet of White Island Pond to the inlet of Buttermilk Bay.
• Nissitissit River: From the New Hampshire border to the Prescott St. Bridge. FLY FISHING ONLY.
• Swift River: Winsor Dam to Rte. 9, catch-and-release FLY FISHING ONLY (year around); Rte. 9 to Cady Lane, catch-and-release July 1–Dec. 31 (artificials only).
• Deerfield River: Fife Brook Dam to Hoosac Tunnel, and the section extending from Pelham Brook to the Mohawk Campground.
• Westfield River, East Branch: Immediately below the Chesterfield Gorge parking lot in Chesterfield to the gate north of the Corps of Engineers parking lot at Knightville in Huntington.
• Millers River: Templeton/Athol RR bridge to dam in Athol and from Wendell Rd. bridge in Orange to the breached dam in Erving center.
• Quashnet River: From the outlet of John’s Pond to the sign 0.1 mile below Rte. 28

If it comes to it I may have to start fishing there..because I would love to see an officer try to take my gear without legal backing. Are you sure it was an Environmental Police Officer? Was he uniformed, carrying a weapon etc...there have been instances of locals trying to bully strangers who fish their ponds/lakes. If I were you I would call their dispatch and find out for yourself. If anyone ever gives you issue, make sure to get badge number, name etc, and I would call the dispatch while the officer was there, before he took anything. In fact I would also keep the number for the local police on hand just in case...

As a point of reference the below is from the Rhode Island abstracts, one of only 2 states to ban corn in trout waters...but it is clearly written.
http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/freshabs.pdf

1. Fishing in any freshwater stream or pond within this state without
a valid fi shing license (except as noted on page 5).
2. Fishing in any stream, designated trout stream or designated trout
pond of the state, unless otherwise regulated, between 1 March
2011 and 6 AM 9 April 2011.
3. Possessing trout, salmon, or charr during the seasonal closure.
4. Using corn for bait in any trout waters.
5. Chumming in any trout waters.
6. Snagging fi sh in fresh waters.
7. Using any substance injurious to fi sh life in any stream or freshwater
pond within the state except by permit issued bythe DEM.
8. Detonating any explosive within any stream or freshwater pond
within the state.
9. Selling trout, largemouth or smallmouth bass, pickerel, northern pike,
Atlantic salmon, American shad, or yellow perch taken from any
freshwater stream, river, or pond within the state.
10. Stocking any freshwater stream or pond, public or private, within
the state with any species of fi sh without having fi rst obtained a
permit from the DEM. For more information, call (401) 789-0281.
11. Releasing any live bait into the freshwaters of the state.
12. The use as bait of any variety of gold fi sh Carassius auratus in the
freshwaters of the state or the importation, sale, or possession of
any variety of gold fi sh Carassius auratus for use as bait in the fresh
waters of the state.
13. Selling any live freshwater minnows for bait or possessing more than
one hundred (100) live freshwater minnows without fi rst having
procured the appropriate license from the DEM.
14. Tagging, branding, marking, or otherwise willfully mutilating any fi sh
which is to be released alive into any freshwaters of the state except
by special permit issued by the Division

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:57 pm

I wouldn't just go out with corn trying to provoke a problem. I'd contact the relevant office and make them give me the OK on official stationary, then go out with the corn. Even if you're in the right, if you resist them, you create a secondary offense. Do you want to have to hire a lawyer and go to court to get it straightened out?

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Regarding bait - I stay away from meat. It's just to avoid turtles and bullhead. My method mix is oatmeal, corn meal, bread and some sweet corn mixed in. I use bread, corn or a boilie on the hook.

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Actually yes. However nowhere did I say resist and I would be going out with corn to fish, not start a problem. I said that it is legal and gave you the ways to double check for yourself. If you are ever fishing and an EP says you cannot use corn, tell him to hold, contact their office and have them check. IT IS LEGAL IN MASSACHUSETTS to use corn. I should not have to go through hoops to follow the rules in place that an officer is sadly ignorant of.

If they insist on pushing the fact then you get all relevant documentation. I want badge number, name, place my gear is being taken and stored, contacts etc..and straight away I'll contacting my representatives and so forth to sort the problem out. Personally I will capture it all on film as well to document what gear is being taken etc.

I firmly believe in our laws an that they should be followed...I do not however condone rumor mills and misunderstandings stopping my fishing or rights.

Last edited by blackstonecarp on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 3 times in total

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:31 pm

markb

Regarding bait - I stay away from meat. It's just to avoid turtles and bullhead. My method mix is oatmeal, corn meal, bread and some sweet corn mixed in. I use bread, corn or a boilie on the hook.

Yeah, sadly luncheon meat and livers are awesome..but the turtles won't stay away long enough to make em worth it.

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Thats very interesting that it seems Obvious to me the rumor mill and the EP Officer in question was Ignorant to the fact that this law is in place in RI and NOT MA... i was checked first for my liscence and ID and kinda tried to mind my own business but found myself evesdropping! so a Badge # etc was not even a consideration for me. my family are all cops in my town and surrounding towns, it was an EP Officer, Badge, gun, pepperspray, truck with blue and red lights, everything LOL.
personally now if i should decide to use corn at Dug pond i will be taking a printout of the rules in MA and for that matter RI to show it clearly states Corn is not allowed in Trout waters there, and i think i will take Marks suggestion and ask for some kind of written consent or letter to keep in my tackle box just in case i too am caught in that situation.... sounds to me like prevention may be key....

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:00 pm

What part of Dug Pond were you fishing? I took a trip the other day just to scout it out and access is a bit rough. I saw the boat ramp, drove through the cemetery etc...

Posted Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 pm

hey jason maybe we could fish the subary river sometime and u could give me some tips and show me somethings

Posted Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 pm

blackstonecarp

What part of Dug Pond were you fishing? I took a trip the other day just to scout it out and access is a bit rough. I saw the boat ramp, drove through the cemetery etc...

Hey Eric, i usually try just the 2 spots, but have previously tried a third.... the main spot i have been trying is by the high school there is a one way street connecting the high school to pond street, there is a swim there on the left opposite a backwater on the other side of the road. thats the #1 place that is where the only 2 guys (apart from me) that fish for Carp go.
the second is in the graveyard, there is a shed/garage. behind this is a very nice swim right next to the island thats in dug.

the other place i tried once last year is in the high school, follow in the entrance and drive down the right side of the building and as it turns left to go round the back of the school, right on the corner there go down the bank to another beautiful swim.
all i have produced from all of these is Eel, Catfish and Snapping Turtle....
now i only go for the challenge that if they are in there (Carp) i WILL catch one!!.... eventually.... hopefully... Laughing Laughing

Posted Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links