Hi All:

Long time user of MA Fish Finder user, first time contributor.

I just started fly fishing, it's fantastic and I can't imagine stopping. Which leads me to my question(s):

Question #1: Is it legal to go fly fishing in the winter?
Question #2: Given that I live in Boston, where can I go that's not too much of a hike (30-45 minutes)?
Question #3: Has anyone given fly fishing a shot in the winter? If so, any recommendations, thoughts, feedback?

Thanks in advance and happy fishing!

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 pm

1. YES
2. any body of water that contains fish
3. many have and do. fish slow and low, streamers and nymphs. use the same thought processes you use for regular fishing in the winter

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:46 am

Do keep in mind that cold water fly fishing means that you will be presenting your flies below the surface film. This means you will need polarized sunglasses to help you see the action in the water.

If you use a long leader then you will need to use a strike indicator to signal when the fish has taken the fly.

If you use a shorter leader (24-30") then you can probably sight fish.

The angle of the sunlight may present challenges to sight fishing and the presentation of flies.

In colder temperatures the water can freeze up in the guides and make casting difficult. ( I speak for experience on this.) A line conditioner may help alleviate that challenge.

Wear gloves your hands will get cold. Bring a net as cold water and cold weather tend to make leaders brittle.

Good luck!

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links