I bought my 1st bait caster today ! Now you boyz betta LOOK OUT! I will now be the GREATEST FISHERMAN OF ALL TIME---as soon as I can figure this contraption out. . . YOU'RE ALL DONE ! hahahahahaha seriously...guys....I need some tips and opinionz here...I bought a 7' berkley rod and a spider"tarantula"....not the most intricate set up but,if one of you guys has ever used one...a quick lesson would be GREAT ---thanks in advance 'cause I know you guys'll know your s*** on this new set-up I got here. . .

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:13 am

go slow and don't hurt yerself, hahahaha

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

johnnybag-a-bass

I can only imagine this is how chicks yousta feel about me...'cause since I got dis thing I can't keep my hands off it hahahaaaaa Go Fish yea I'm gonna need a BIGGER LIVING ROOM hahahaaaa

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:07 am

johnnybag-a-bass

LMAO!!! I just started using one this season. You'll figure it out

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 am

Pick up a pair of 3/4 oz casting dummies (They have them at Dick's). Then setup some targets in your yard if you have one or in a park and practice casting at the targets.

Also keep a casting practice journal making notes about reel settings, brand of line, line weights, environmental conditions.

With a little bit of effort and a lot of practice you will soon be "schooling" other anglers with bait casting setups.

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Grab a heavy sinker,lure or practice plug as mentioned.
Spool up with cheap mono 12-14lb range.
tighten the main tension knob so lure barely moves to ground when thumb bar pushed.
tighten 2nd tension knob or magnets to almost max.
1st tension knob Basically is for the initial inertia on the cast.
2nd knob/magnets is for the end of the cast, Reduce free spool at end.
3rd use your thumb to gauge distance and birds-nest if needed.
I have talked with Denny Brauer about this literally and he actually leaves the tension set so when the lure hits the ground the spool stops. yes he is a pro but that is simple as he keeps it.
You will need to adjust your reel almost every lure you use or in the wind. Maybe even after a red bull and your jacked up with energy and give the lure a little extra!.
Practice up and you will love baitcasting!

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 pm

I'm accustomed to "practice" and winter's nearly here and I get bored-like most..."""Maybe even after a red bull and your jacked up with energy and give the lure a little extra!.""""---hey jay...wouldya believe I'm like this WITHOUT STIMULANTS---wait til ya see me on one XLCoffee....hahahaaaa I bought this used over at D&G in cherry valley...I think the the previous owner set is up w/ 12 or 14 braid...I'm HOOKED on this s*** now. . .

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Idea I spent the afternoon with this thing today.I rigged a 3/4oz'er with a tail style bait (ma man Damon hooked me up with)this thing felt too light to really send it... ended up bein like (-20-30'+/-sometimes less....is that the target zone for distance? or am I just a nitwit hahahahaa
dare I ask a stupid questions but, is this what you're all referring to when you say "throwin HEAVY baits"? 'cause I'm thinkin BIGGER is BETTER already .ESTIMATE: 1.75-2.55 would be SWEET ...no ? and even heavier maybe----I'm waiting on Ritchie-Stratos' input on this ---I privatley refer to him as 'YODA'

Posted Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:08 pm

fffff

Last edited by stevelibs on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:44 am

stevelibs

hmmmmmmm

No advice steve?--or ya goin into synoptic OVERLOAD !?Sometimes a question can have SO MANY answers. . .
I' got this big wooden fruit bowl on my kitchen table...."Hey honey...watch this...-PLINK(in goes the sinker)-pretty good after 1 day huh? !" . . . "Yea....ya better do that OUTSIDE,no?"...hahahaaaa I can see this'll be ONE MORE THING that'll drive'r NUTZzz...
Idea

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links