My 13yr old uses my old zebco delta reel witch has a 10lb line , In the past couple of days he says that his line has broken when he had a fish on, I've never had a problem with it before and was wondering
if a larger lb. line would be better than the 10lb mono line that is on now. Could a 20lb line be max or switch to Fluorocarbon?

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 am

Is the line old? Maybe he just needs new line

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 am

yes haven't change the line this year yet , I'm at a rehab for a broken bone below the knee, Would also using a higher lb. line work?
Mono is being use now could a Fluorocarbon line work?

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am

I don't think that heavier line or fluorocarbon is the solution.

I would put fresh mono on the reel, and clean and lube it if it hasn't been done this year.

I would also check the take-up pins, the spool, the hole in the cap for rough sharp edges. Additionally, I would check the guides on the rod, particularly the tip for sharp edges. These could be abrading or cutting the line.

I recently found that brand new line on one of you ultra-light spinning setups was rough and had cuts. The problem was the guide insert at the tip was chipped, and had a sharp edge that was cutting the line.

IMHO,
Patrick

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:43 am

As Shawn says, the line is probably getting old. Monofilament degrades over time from ultraviolet exposure. Plus it gets frayed from general use. He may just need to cut off 3 feet of line to get to the good stuff. Try that first. If the line keeps breaking it's time to replace it. I would stay with mono, it's far less expensive and easier to work with compared with flourocarbon.

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 am

what is a best mono line to get?
I know this reel takes 10lb line but would going with a 12 or 15lb line
be any better.
I use a Zebco Omega® Pro Spincast Reel 3 for my light lures and my bait casting reel for my heavy lures, I think it's time to change all
my lines for this year.

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Depending on how often you fish mono can turn bad quickly like others said. By the sounds of it you should defiantly change up that line for your little guy. If you really wana bump it up a notch go with 12-14lb. No need to go anywhere else then your locals stores for mono. I use trilene and have no issues. Flurocarbon is a more delicate line and needs special knots and can be a pain on spinning rods so i'd stay with mono.

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Azmlii makes a great suggestion. I totally forgot I bought a rod last year that had a cracked guide insert and kept breaking my line.

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 pm

I asked one of the guys at Natick Outdoor Store. I was contemplating paying a premium for Seaguar SENSHI.

He said that Berkley Trilene XL and Stren Original were the best selling lines in the US, depending on region. Trilene XL being more popular in the north and Stren in the south.

I don't know about best, but I've always had good results from Berkley Trilene XL.

I've also heard good things about Sufix Elite.

In truth any name brand should give you good service if you trim some off periodically (as bloomagoo stated), and replace it at least once a season.

Also, if your son is fresh water fishing for bass etc, 10lb line should be more than heavy enough.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 am

azmlii

I asked one of the guys at Natick Outdoor Store. I was contemplating paying a premium for Seaguar SENSHI.

He said that Berkley Trilene XL and Stren Original were the best selling lines in the US, depending on region. Trilene XL being more popular in the north and Stren in the south.

I don't know about best, but I've always had good results from Berkley Trilene XL.

I've also heard good things about Sufix Elite.

In truth any name brand should give you good service if you trim some off periodically (as bloomagoo stated), and replace it at least once a season.

Also, if your son is fresh water fishing for bass etc, 10lb line should be more than heavy enough.

There's lots of things pure fishing makes that im not a fan of. Trilene and stren are not one of them. Never had a issue with either or.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:50 am

Couple of question to ask your son. Where is he fish around (laydowns, brush, heavy grass or pads)? If so, any line can break if your fishing around heavy cover. Check it often & retie if needed. Where is the line breaking? At the knot? Good knot tying is very important. Lube it well & synch it tight. Use the correct knot for the type of line your using.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:57 pm

he said that he caught a small blue gill an as he was bring it in something much bigger took the whole line and fish, his grandmother told me that she saw the big swirl before the line broke from her car. I would like to get him at least a 12 or 15lb line . Last thing I could teach him is how to use my old bait caster reel and get him his own or hand him mine an time to get a new one for my self.

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 pm

@inkslinger,

Speaking from personal experience you are better off getting him a brand new spinning combo + fresh line. The goal is to get him back on the water with reliable gear. Put that spincaster away for the winter when you can mess around with it all that you want.

I recommend the Shimano IX 2000 reels as they are cheap and reliable. I have 3 of them and they just work. The sweet thing about these reels is that they can accommodate mono, fluro and braid. But I remove the triggers as I find that they tend to catch the line and cause tangles.

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:14 am

My 13yr old is wanting to move and wants a Baitcaster reel instead ! Any good baitcaster reel for a beginner! Will just replace his old zebco delta reel on his ugly stick until I can get him a decent rod later.

Posted Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 pm

An Abu Garcia Black Max combo is would be a great starting baitcaster rod and reel. And you can probably find it for $50 - $60.

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:24 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links