stay as far away as possible their necks extend half a body size so they snap forward and eat your face - no joke

i hate those fuckers around my boat

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 pm

how can you get rid of them if they follow you? can I hit it gently with the paddle or is it going to attack me if I do that?

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:33 pm

I think it will go away. Had one following the boat last weekend. I figured it would go away but it kept following so I put a push pole in front of its face. It didn't even snap at it and slowly swam to the bottom.

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:24 pm

My grandfather, many years ago, shot one with an arrow. Thinking it was dead he put it in the trunk of his car to bring home. When he opened the trunk to show my grandmother it allegedly jumped out of the car, arrow still lodged in its neck, and chased my grandpa down the driveway.

Anyways snappers aren't typically too friendly from what I've seen so I usually just leave them be but if they're bothering me I'll tap them on the shell with an oar.

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Nope. Don't think I've ever met a friendly snapper.

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:22 am

I caught one in the lower right leg yesterday in ashland reservoir, i thought my hook was stuck in the bottom but when I came closer I realized it was a snapping turtle. I had to cut the line to release it as I did not want to approach my hand.
This might be a stupid question but... are they good to eat?

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Its funny this thread came up now. My aunt tried to help one across the street yesterday, didn't work out too well for her haha. When she put it down, it bit her toe. It wouldnt let go until someone driving by stopped and pulled its tail. I saw her today and she's fine but won't be helping snappers again anytime soon.
[/img]

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Glad your gramma is okay. I caught one in the Charles by Waltham last weekend, just absolutely hammered a jig with a kreature. I managed to wrangle him to the surface and his head was bigger than my fist, it was terrifying. Last summer, I can't remember what town, a kid got his Achilles' tendon severed by one of those monsters when he was swimming in the local pond.

Posted Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21 am

damn dude that's crazy. i won't go near those things. the next one that follow's me around is going to get a paddle across the face. i hate turtle head!!

Posted Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:53 am

Lol i caught one at Luddams ford in hanover last summer.

It is like getting slammed by a 6lb bass, and then it feels like dragging a tire through the water. They are not friendly either.. Thankfully he spit the hook, and he wasnt a 6lb bass that spit the hook. Very Happy

Posted Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links