I can't seem to "quote" anybody with this new software, but MichaelK said he would like to become more proficient with a baitcaster.

That's my goal for 2009 also. I am trying to purchase gear that is site-specific. Open-faced spinning reels, which I own, lack the accuracy of a "baitcaster".

As I work the ambush-sites for the lunkers, all the obstacles make a "baitcaster" the way to go. I guess I'm a little intimidated by them, but it is time to grow-up and get over it.

When you're working docks, pads, tree stumps, over-hanging trees, etc., accuracy is the key. I am sick of having to pull up my boat to retrieve another one of my lures hanging from a tree-branch.

Yuh, the time has come to take off the training wheels and learn how to use a "baitcaster". Now, which freaking one do I buy ?

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:45 am

you will pick it up quick, it's not too bad.
the biggest thing to remember is that their is a brake built into the reel that allows the spool to flow with restriction depending on lure weight.
settings 1-10 , i generally use the 3-5 setting for plastics, 5-6 for heavy plastics like crankbaits, and 6-8 for heavy spinnerbaits.
getting used to changing the setting along with your bait for me is key.

as for which one, a cheap one to start Smile $30-$40 range will do.
then upgrade.

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:45 am

johnnybag-a-bass

you will pick it up quick, it's not too bad.
the biggest thing to remember is that their is a brake built into the reel that allows the spool to flow with restriction depending on lure weight.
settings 1-10 , i generally use the 3-5 setting for plastics, 5-6 for heavy plastics like crankbaits, and 6-8 for heavy spinnerbaits.
getting used to changing the setting along with your bait for me is key.

as for which one, a cheap one to start Smile $30-$40 range will do.
then upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he told me he would loan me his old one for me to practice on.

He told me pretty much what you have said. He also said to start heavy on the " breaking" , (as you put it) , and adjust downward as I become more proficient. That way I can prevent more "birdsnests" from happening.

He also said that the wind will also play a role on your "breaking adjustment", as if you're casting into the wind, it'll hold up the amount of line you want coming off your reel. Does that make sense ? Also visa-versa, casting with the wind achieves the opposite effect.

Also, he said I should start with a rod that you can cast with only one hand. Later, when I get better at it, have a good rod with a long butt-end, so I can hold it with both hands for additional casting power. It's an art-form for sure.

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 am

He also said that the wind will also play a role on your "breaking adjustment", as if you're casting into the wind, it'll hold up the amount of line you want coming off your reel. Does that make sense ? Also visa-versa, casting with the wind achieves the opposite effect.

he's got that right, i also learned on a one handed rod, it is tougher, but you get a better feel for it.

good luck bro

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links