I'm wanting to know what everyone's preferences are between sit in..and sit on top anglers kayaks?...I thought i had my mind made up...now I'm not so sure....Pros and cons sure would help...Thx

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:10 am

Im personally a fan of sit on tops if your gonna be fishing out of it. I feel theres a lot more room to move around and adjust to what you need. And if ur legs cramp at all u can easily move them around or hang them off the side to stretch.

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:11 pm

SOT in salt.

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:00 pm

I had the same debate when I was looking for a kayak two years ago.
Dishing out anywhere from $150 to $500 + bucks for a kayak is no small investment. I went with a SOT and am so glad i did. The ability to move more freely and even spread legs out a bit (in the water) is awesome. I got a Patomac from Dick's ($225 - was suppose to be $400 - fully loaded but... ) and its the best investment i made. Also the SOT i have is very stable and if there was ever a tip I don't have to worry about the yak filling with water an trying to turn it again. Also it feels more natural to be on top rather than in a hole. I can even stand on mine if i elect to do so in order to scout beds and weeds.
Good luck in decision.

I am actually going to create an article on my site www.ezangler.com about the considerations of SOT or sit in for freshwater fishing. By the time i launch it would be great to hear what you opted on.

EZ Angler.

Last edited by ezangler on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:20 pm

I had decided on the sit on top to begin with....Just wanted some advice to make sure that was probably the best way too go...thx alot

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:24 pm

The SOT is the more versatile yak but is a "wetter" ride and you will be more exposed to the elements. If you are only planning to fish rivers and ponds then either a SINK or SOT will suffice. But if you're planning any ocean adventures you will need the SOT.

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

I've fished Fresh Water out of a Sit In Kayak for the last 3 years and have really enjoyed it. That being said ....

I'm now moving to (or really adding) a SOT kayak. I feel like it will give me a lot more storage area for gear and the main reason is I want the ability to stand.

Although I think I'll need to invest in a ton of sunscreen for my legs Smile

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm

[quote="jjbagoose"]I've fished Fresh Water out of a Sit In Kayak for the last 3 years and have really enjoyed it. That being said ....

I'm now moving to (or really adding) a SOT kayak. I feel like it will give me a lot more storage area for gear and the main reason is I want the ability to stand.

Although I think I'll need to invest in a ton of sunscreen for my legs Smile[/Iquote]

I'm just thinking the sit on top would be easier for me to get in and out...also give me the ability to move my legs around more.Not as young as i used to be ya know.Not concerned with standing yet....I be happy not to roll it....i never fished out of a yak before....but i have kayaked....cant wait.

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:41 pm

bloomagoo

The SOT is the more versatile yak but is a "wetter" ride and you will be more exposed to the elements. If you are only planning to fish rivers and ponds then either a SINK or SOT will suffice. But if you're planning any ocean adventures you will need the SOT.

me on the ocean would be an adventure in itself....Im gonna stick to small lakes...ponds and rivers...once i get the hang of it....then saltwater may be the next step....thx

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Sounds to me that the SOT is the best option for you....today.

I started with an SOT (Ocean Kayak Trident 13, great yak) used it for a season and sold it. I then moved both down and up. I purchased an Ascend D10 ($399 SINK) from BassPro for small water and a Hobie Revo 11 ($1800+ SOT) for big water. Since I fish mostly the Charles River and local ponds I actually use my D10 more often than my Revo because it is lighter, easier to transport and haul and draws less water. It's also quite spacious and comfortable with plenty of leg room (I'm 54 years young). So, as you can see, it's really about the type of fishing you do or want to do.

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:15 pm

I am an old fashioned type of fisherman.. I grew up fishing from a Pirouge( pronounced.. Pee-row)
It is a sit in with very little draw that makes it nice to fish ponds, lakes, swamps and even slow moving rivers.

It is not meant for Ocean fishing at all...it has a open format..weighs in at just over 50 lbs and is fiberglass.

If you ever see me at a location..you would be welcome to try it out.

PJ

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 am

SIT ON TOP FOR SURE.# 1 It`s alot more easier to rig up with rod holders ,etc.More room for legs to put on sides or both on one side & sit sideways.# 2 Tackle storage ,it`s alot easier to store tackle & make chages on the fly .Imagine a hook or fish falls out your hand ,now its in your yak ,good luck with that in a sit inside.Sure their not that fast ,but the wider body is better suited for fishing .# 3 Transport is also easier as its Flatter & may fit better on top of or inside car/truck.

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 pm

I say either a SOT or have the best of both worlds and get a hybrid like a Wilderness Systems Commander or Native Ultimate.

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Good choices Yao. Both are very nice sit-ins with lots of room. I know you own a Commander and have seen you fishing standing up too.

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:44 pm

The sit on top is definately gonna be it....I initially was gonna go with the ascend 12 foot...but i think the 10 foot will suffice.. it is lighter.....Thanks for all the input guys....Guess it's time for a trip to bass pro.

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links