I'm new to fishing. Just started back in May. I've watch alot of fishin shows. They all rave about plastics & alot of senkos. But I haven't caught anything with any plastic. Bought some senkos last week thru some lily pads but nothing? Anybody got any tips? Go Fish

Posted Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 pm

yes be patient and count to three, lol

you just have to experiment and throw it into different situations. like you said over some pads and let it fall off the edge, just play around with some different techniques and you will land em.

Posted Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:51 pm

the more you try to work it the less effective it will be. Just let it fall and watch your line close.

Often times bass will suck them in and just sit there, other times they will swim away towards your slack line. The key is being very aware of your line.

I cant count the times i've thrown a senko at one spot and then when you start reeling in your line you notice its 20 feet away from where you threw it. Its usualy closer to you than he spot you casted. When that happens get ready to set the hook.

I find a floating line helps to detect the initial bite. I like to use fireline when fishing senkos for that reason.

Posted Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:01 pm

OK sound good. How long do you wait to reel in and recast. Is texas rig or wacky better way to go.

Thanks Guys!

Posted Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:11 pm

I prefer wacky rigged. Waiting depends on the depth of the water obviously, make sure it hits bottem. I usualy wait at least 3 seconds.

The bite is slow this time of the year anyway, practice next season on a hot day fishing cover. A dead dog can catch bass with senkos, just let it do its thing on its own and dont mess around with it too much.

you can also try whacky rigging a senko and keeping a tight line on top of the water, bounce your rod tip up and down and reel slowly. It should almost look like something flapping on the surface.
I have caught huge bass fishing a senko on the surface.

Posted Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:59 pm

fishingreek

OK sound good. How long do you wait to reel in and recast. Is texas rig or wacky better way to go.

Thanks Guys!

Want some good tips on the Senko? Go to youtube and type in "How to fish a Senko"

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:57 am

WHILE BOTH WACKY AND TEXAS WORK. I FIND WEEDLESS HOOKING IS BEST FOR MOST FISHING. LETTING THE WORM SINK AND FISHING IT SLOW IS THE KEY. YOU'LL FEEL IT WHEN THE BASS BITES BUT WAIT TO SET THE HOOOK UNTIL YOU FEEL THE WEIGHT OF THE FISH. I PERFER WEIGHTLESS AS WELL.

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:12 am

these guy's have given you great advice can't add a thing.try what there saying you'll catch fish just don't give up.

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

OK !!

Thanks Alot!

If I catch anything I'll post some pics!!

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm still new to fishing with plastic worms, but the thing I've learned is go slow. I fish it texas weightless and have to remind myself to slow down. It's not crankbait fishing and I tend to get impatient. Go slow, let it wiggle around down there and the fish will hit it. Oh and say a Hail Mary every time you cast. I saw that in a movie once...

Posted Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Everyone has their own style and technique that work for them. Im with Paully, I prefer the carolina or weedless rig, I use a weighted hook though. I switch up my retrieve as well, besides bringing it in low and slow with my rod tip toward the water, I will also bring my rod up from really low (almost touching the surface of the water) to straight up slowly, then reel in the slack I created, let it fall back to the bottom and repeat. Dont get discouraged, it takes alot more patience and skill to bag a fish with a lure. Alot of members of the site have success with plastic "creatures" or crawfish as well as senkos. One thing that most of us agree on is the brand. Gary Yamamotto plastics outfish almost any other synthetic lure. Try different lengths, colors and retrieves and you will be landing larry sooner than you think.

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:09 pm

I m a wacky kinda guy and i love wacky rig early in the season before all the millfoil and other vegetation start popping up. Hopping slowly around drop offs and structure. If there is one, I think the trick is patience....or maybe I just like to relax and sip some beer

Posted Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:50 am

strike King zeros are the best. the last 10X longer and are much more relistic then other baits. plus you can see them if you use pink or chartruse. dont think for a second that they wont hit bthese colors, cause the hammer them and 90% that is what i catch them on. Wink

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links