Maybe I just have had a string of bad luck, but on my home water (Bungay Lake North Attleboro) I have caught @1,000 bass over the past 5 years. Of those just 5-6 have been over 17 inches (biggest in pic) , almost all the rest are 10-12 inches. I did some research on pond management and this ratio seems to indicate that we probably have an overpopulation problem and recommends harvesting 12-13 inch fish to make more room for lunkers. Right now there is very little fishing pressure and I don't know that anyone harvests anything regularly. The one account I heard of someone trying to eat them reported heavy muddiness in the flavor.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking I might make it my duty to
eat the little buggers just to get some bigger fish in there.

Pond @ 100 acres, pretty shallow Avg @ 8 Ft, muddy weedy bottom all over
Species: LMB, pickerel, crappie, bluegill, other sunfish, perch, SMB, 1 big Koi
Lures used: ( tried basically everything) , Top water, swimbaits, Senkos, Rapalas, pig jig,

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:54 am

Time to put a call out to the "white bucket" brigade Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 am

don51

Time to put a call out to the "white bucket" brigade Exclamation Laughing

that was my first thought too

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:21 am

i live in attleboro and i have no idea what lake this is? at least i dont recognise the name. id like to give it a shot there, let me know where there is access

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Looking at the map I just see Bungay river. Looks like one part is wide like a pond. Its near Greenwood lake

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:29 pm

shawneramone

Looking at the map I just see Bungay river. Looks like one part is wide like a pond. Its near Greenwood lake

Sorry map name is Greenwood Lake, but I've never heard it called that.

That wide part of listed as Bungay River in Google maps is a 1 foot deep swamp on USFW Hatchery property.

No public access, which definitely contributes to the overpopulation

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Is it just the bass or are all the fish generally small? Could be the pond itself.

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:39 pm

lunkerhunter2366

Is it just the bass or are all the fish generally small? Could be the pond itself.

Crappie, perch, bluegills, pickerel all top out around a pound, not sure much else would run much bigger.

chevin37 - message me if you want me to take you out there sometime, I'm usually out around 7-9 am weekends before the winds kick up a little

Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:54 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links