a recent post got me thinking about this subject. first off it doesn't sound very sporting to me. I suppose there is no harm done if the fish is released after it is caught. probably just goes back to it's bed. my question is "what ecological damage, if any, is caused by transporting bedding fish in a livewell and releasing them far from their beds". do they ever get back, does it matter, how about loss of future fish? would love to hear comments.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 2:15 pm

I've fished for 50 years and have always been fascinated with a big ole bass sitting in plain view on a bed. Who wouldn't be, right? When the tournament schedule for my club is released, there's always excited discussion about lakes we fish during the spawn. The last week in May has historically involved a trip to Winni with my son to bed fish for feisty smallmouth. We always find ourselves saying, "this is too easy". Yesterday, having woken up earlier than usual, I decided to stop by a lake on the north shore to check for some fish on beds. My stop revealed a nice fish, with a very aggressive attititude. Within seconds of my twin tail grub landing on the bed, the fish grabbed the offering, and I set the hook. The fish was reeled in, released from the hook and returned to the water in no more than 20 seconds total. As I released the bass, I noticed about a dozen bluegill feasting on the eggs. I'm not saying I won't fish beds anymore. I'm not taking sides on the issue. I'm just informing. I've never seen this happen, but obviously heard this is what occurs. Make your own choice.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Great post oldfisher! And I would think with town population growing and more people fish... its inevitable, its not good. With that said I'll try and catch a fish anywhere it lays, then release it.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 5:46 pm

People that don't fish beds don't change their minds and people that do fish them don't change either for the most part. Arguments matter little, but indeed the panfish steal the eggs every chance they get. Why do you think the bass are so aggressive on the beds? To hit your lures?

I don't fish beds.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 5:55 pm

If you try to google it, you'll find that there's really no solid evidence to support either side of the conversation. Like many different aspects of fishing, I think it comes down to personal preference. I bed fish. I've never fished a bed tourney, but if I did, I'm sure I would take fish off of beds to try to win.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 6:10 pm

Do you remember what happened the last time this subject was brought up Question Laughing I'm out!

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 6:51 pm

don51

Do you remember what happened the last time this subject was brought up Question Laughing I'm out!

Laughing wise policy!

In other news, going haddock fishing Saturday, but they are for bait as the porbeagle sharks have been on the prowl!

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 7:09 pm

I feel pretty confident that the people around here can have an intelligent conversation. We let it get out of hand before. But we won't let that happen again.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:20 pm

shawneramone

I feel pretty confident that the people around here can have an intelligent conversation. We let it get out of hand before. But we won't let that happen again.

As long as you are sure.

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:27 pm

grayrider16

shawneramone

As long as you are sure.

They don't call me Mr. Awesome for nothing

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:41 pm

shawneramone

grayrider16

shawneramone

As long as you are sure.

sometimes they do. Who is they anyway?

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Not a fan of bed fishing personally, just my 2 cents!

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:47 pm

kman

shawneramone

grayrider16

shawneramone

As long as you are sure.

sometimes they do. Who is they anyway?

They=the world

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:49 pm

pocketfisherman

Not a fan of bed fishing personally, just my 2 cents!

Today 2 cents isn't even worth 2 cents

Posted Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 pm

There;s probably a lack of sound evidence because there have been no long term studies on it like looking at the impact on a specific lake over a long time period and covering ALL variables. Here are a few links describing some studies. Notice how not all variables are accounted for like tournaments and more fertile vs. non-fertile waters.

http://www.ms-sportsman.com/details.php?id=1451

http://www.bassfan.com/opinion_article/1360/science-and-the-impact-of-bed-fishing#.Vz8Cu_krLbg

But think of it this way. If you're fun fishing, you catch a fish off of a bed and release it right away and it goes back, there's less chance of damaging impact than a tournament where 50 fish are taken off of beds for 7 to 8 hours leaving them wide open to predators. Also consider the number of bass that end up actually making it past the egg stage vs. the number of total eggs laid. Then consider multiple tournaments over the spawn season. The risk at least is pretty obvious.

You could argue for article #1 where it only takes a few bass to populate a body of water but then you also have fishermen that fish beds and simply take the fish home to eat.

While it's inconclusive, I'd rather not take that risk and tournament bed fish. I've done it, but I think it's pretty dumb. 15 boats all pounding beds vs. finding patterns.

Posted Fri May 20, 2016 7:38 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links