Hello all, avid female angler here and new to the site.
I grew up a diehard salt, lived on boats, fished the waters around Gloucester & down in Florida my whole life. But lately I've been getting very much into freshwater and I got a fever to catch some trout. I've got everything I could possibly need in my freshwater arsenal of tackle...

Except knowing the best spots for trout fishing in eastern Mass! Any tip offs would be greatly appreciated. So far I've tried some smaller stocked ponds & lakes to no avail. Would love to find some sweet honey holes in some rivers or streams!

Posted Thu May 02, 2013 10:36 pm

If you are after trout try Long Pond in Plymouth

Posted Fri May 03, 2013 7:39 am

i dont know anything about eastern mass but i live in the berkshires and the deerfield river produces some beautiful fish. so if your ever down this way head the the deerfield river.

Posted Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 pm

West river in uxbridge and northbridge has some nice trout.

Posted Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Swift River below the Quabbin and Route 9.. See some of the Pictures I posted on my page . All caught there ..
Message me for more information.

Posted Fri May 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Ya never know, not all fishing forums seem so welcoming toward females. Lol. You might be surprised. I've seen it.

I live more north between the Reading-Lynn/Peabody areas. I have heard of Long Pond and can't wait to check out those southern hot spots when I visit the cape soon enough. West River sounds good too.

Was looking closer to home, but all the good spots seem to be at least an hour in any direction. I've considered Ashland Res, but would really prefer a narrower, fast moving river or stream. Went to the supposedly heavily stocked Horn Pond this weekend and boy was that place polluted! Cool though, so it's a shame.

Nik, I've been wanting to get out there and fish the Deerfield.

TF, I've read about the swift river recently somewhere as well. I'll be checking out that info and the photos now.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 am

What do you mean polluted at Horn? Water color or a lot of trash around? The water there is naturally a tea color. The shoreline trash sucks and unfortunately is way too common around the urban ponds. Horn has some nice fish in there. I don't trout fish, just bass, but they do stock Horn twice a year and put salmon in when they have em.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 am

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 5:47 am

If you're in the north shore area, try the Ipswich River which is minutes from you. It is mostly a put-and-take fishery and trout start to thin out in the summer due to low water level from towns that draw water from it.

There's not much trout rivers or streams in eastern MA that can sustain a year round fishery. Heading out west would be your best option.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 6:00 am

shawneramone

What do you mean polluted at Horn? Water color or a lot of trash around? The water there is naturally a tea color. The shoreline trash sucks and unfortunately is way too common around the urban ponds. Horn has some nice fish in there. I don't trout fish, just bass, but they do stock Horn twice a year and put salmon in when they have em.

It was actually the stench on my hands and on all my lures that stunned me after fishing there. When I looked into the purity of the water I read some really shocking stuff, among that was YouTube videos of raw sewage overflowing into the pond. Shocked Confused

It IS a BEAUTIFUL area and I know there's lots of fish there! I would fish it again for those reasons, but wouldn't be so keen on keeping any trout from there if I caught em. And I'd have to be prepared for that distinct & pungent smell all over everything again. This was after fishing the calmer side west of the walkway due to strong winds pummeling my face and bad placement on my part that day. That's when I learned to always check the wind speed and direction for where I plan on fishing for the day.

I'm not trying to be the Debbie Downer on a very popular spot. It's just important information if I'm planning on eating any trout I catch.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 2:14 pm

bloomagoo and fishingeek, I have considered both of those spots, actually. I'll look into reviews on here. So many spots to check out & such little time. When the trout fishing slows down during the summer, that's when I'll be taking to the salt and combat fishing on the Merrimack for Stripers, which begins this month actually when the herring come in! I'll still go and try for LMB, though. My fishing buddy is a lunkerhead.

Posted Mon May 06, 2013 2:22 pm

There is trout in Spot pond in stoneham. They are getting tougher to catch but I've had luck with small kastmasters and spinners. I recommend trying the southern part of the pond but its a little bit of a walk from the boating area.

Posted Tue May 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks!! That's close enough to me, been meaning to check it out. I heard they stock it with Rainbows. It'd be cool if there were biguns!

Posted Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 pm

You can get some good sized ones but more importantly the pond is very clean.

Posted Tue May 07, 2013 1:21 pm

We hit horn pond three times and were skunked. There were a couple people on the northeast side that were slowly catching some trout the week it was stocked. When I say slowly maybe a trout every two hours.

Went to ipswich river two Saturdays ago and caught three trout and about a dozen nice yellow perch. Catch and release and all handled with a net. Water was high, we must have found a nice deep hole along the banks in topsfield.

Posted Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links