I decided to try my hand at FW fishing this year after quite a long hiatus. I figure in April/May I'll be chasing largemouth, but I'm looking for something to do in early April/March and I was wondering if there was any worthwhile place to try for coldwater fish in MA.

I've seen the trout stocking reports, but it seems like they are very heavily biased towards streams and non-boating ponds. Is there a good place to chase trout/salmon by boat in MA?

Posted Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:59 am

GOOD LUCK WITH SALMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

long pond,in plymouth,is a big deep pond! stocked heavily with bows brookies browns and tigers.

mashpee wakby is also a big deep pond! stocked with trout

Posted Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:24 pm

At Jamaica pond in Boston you don't need to have a boat, the pond is so small only about a mile and a half around and you don't need a boat.. I caught a nice rainbow from shore just the other day! The pond is crammed with fish, trout bass salmon you name it! Try you're luck there with live bait, artificial bait or spinners if you're going after browns. Good luck!

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am

No salmon stocking in Jamaica Pond that I am aware of. Little, Long, Peters, Cliff and Shubel are the only ponds listed for the SE district. Not sure if they have been stocked yet, this has been a good week to do it! Idea

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:40 am

don51

No salmon stocking in Jamaica Pond that I am aware of. Little, Long, Peters, Cliff and Shubel are the only ponds listed for the SE district. Not sure if they have been stocked yet, this has been a good week to do it! Idea

they stock Jamaica pond with ten eight pond salmon in the spring and then they grow bigger... A kid caught a twenty pounder out of there and it was in the boston globe a few years back.

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:28 am

Can't get the dfw link to post. If you can get on the MA wildlife site, type in salmon stocking in the search feature.

www.mass.gov/eea/

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:25 pm

I did exactly as you said and the site said that they would stock trout and salmon before March. There are still holdovers, trout and salmon, at Jamaica pond.
If you try using plain old worms for salmon and you use a worm inflator so thAt it floats off the bottom making it more noticeable for fish to see. Also it helps if you know where to fish, this time of year the shallower the better, and I have had most of my luck after dark. Good luck!

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Too cold for me at night! Laughing Hope you are with other people in that area at night.

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:22 pm

South Pond (Quacumqwasit ) In the Brookfield's Has Big browns .Check the regulations for browns on this lake. I think only one can be kept and must be over 15 inches .

Posted Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:29 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links