Any tips for salmon fishing. Im gona fish little and long pond,maybe peters. I want to use a real light braid for casting the lure out a little father. Would they be able to see the braid? I got lures like kast masters, dare devils, husky jerks, moose look wobblers, magic swimmers.

Posted Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 pm

You could always put a fluoro leader on the braid. My opinion, the more knots you have the better chance for failure. I would keep it simple and just use 6lb fluorocarbon. Plenty of casting distance Exclamation

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:37 am

6lbs fluro for leader or main line...I've been looking into 10lbs,8lbs and 5lbs power pro

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:21 am

6lbs fluro for leader or main line...I've been looking into 10lbs,8lbs and 5lbs power pro

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:32 am

I'd go with the fluoro as the main line, especially if you are fishing the trout ponds. The stockie trout are much more willing to bite than the salmon Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 am

Bassturds, I use a 12 lb. braid and attach a 6 lb. flouro leader. I connect the lines with a double uni knot, I use at least 12' leader, if deep water I will use up to 20'. The flouro sinks and the braid floats the flouro will get your lure down to the fish. Good luck...

Posted Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks guys. I'll give both a shot. Now lures or shiners? I think I'll bring 2 rods 1 for shiners . I'll be fishing out of a kayak. So hopefully we get a good stocking this year

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Do any of you fish peters long or little pond? How are they? I've fished little before many times only 1 trip produced fish. 1 trout and small bass. I wasn't prepared for trout. This year is going to be different.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Agreed this year is going to be different, given the Feds have dropped the CT River salmon stocking. I believe the 2 hatcheries in VT have been off-line since last year and only the MA Palmer one open. Not sure there will be any more salmon going forward?

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

Talked to F&G today and they said they do anticipate some salmon to be available for stocking this year...

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 pm

I fish Little Pond every fall right up until ice. It is hit or miss Exclamation Some days you can get hits every other cast and other days not a strike Exclamation I got my one and only salmon a couple of years ago. A guy I know hammers them on a regular basis. It seems the nastier the weather the better the fishing Exclamation

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:14 pm

So crappy weather,less fishermen, more fish
Let's see how this year goes

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:05 pm

bassturds

So crappy weather,less fishermen, more fish
Let's see how this year goes

Laughing Not a guarantee, but the trout seem to turn on when it is cool, cloudy and damp. Not real comfy for the fishermen though. Laughing

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:11 am

I can handle the cold, damp, cloudy weather as long as in fishin

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Crap. Look like I have to go hit this pond when I can!

Posted Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links