Hi all,

I recently decided that want to try out kayak fishing, but I don't really want to spend much on a fancy one. I'm limiting myself to a $300 budget, so I looked on Dicks, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. and found a few small sit in ones that were around $200-$250. Are these cheapo sit in kayaks okay for fishing? Is there any storage in a kayak like the Pelican 100 trailblazer fishing kayak?

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any advice kayak fishing, since it's new to me

Posted Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:17 pm

The best sit in kayak at Dicks for fishing is the Trophy 126. Plenty of storage and I got mine for $320 on sale.

Take your time, borrow a friends kayak, test out playing around in them. I bought a cheap kayak to start with and wish I would have saved my bucks and bought a much better model. I absolutely LOVE kayak fishing!!

Don't get me wrong. My kayak has been awesome all year, but I just know there are so many that are better. I got what I paid for and that's good enough for me for the time being. I'll upgrade in a couple years....

Posted Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice- the 126 looks pretty good! Just wondering, what kind of storage is in a kayak like that? I'm used to having thousands of lures in my bass boat, but I could limit myself to a couple of utility boxes and a couple rods for a kayak. So basically, I'm wondering how much gear fits in a kayak.

Posted Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:11 pm

I assume that you have already bought your kayak. for those who have the same question.... the trophy 126 is a great kayak. very stable. rear hatch has plenty of storage for items that you will not have an immediate need for or if you're into keeping your catch, crappies, perch, whatever, you can keep an oval shaped pail in there. I always had plenty of room behind the seat for storing my tackle. room on the sides of the seat for pee bottle, fold up anchor and rope, water bottle, etc. fishfinder battery pushed up to the bow. added rod holder for trolling.

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 8:29 am

I know this is an old post, but don't waste money on an angler model. Rod holders are an easy and inexpensive install. And that is basically the difference between an angler and regular yak model.

Posted Thu May 14, 2015 6:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links