I'm in the market for a digital camera. I'm currently still using a 35mm, and figure it's time to get out of the ice age and purchase one. My problem, I don't know that much about them. I need some suggestions on what brand/megapixels to get. I was at wal-mart the other day and was looking at them, but realized I need some help.

Posted Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Personally I do not know a whole lot about cameras..but I will say that for the $200 ish price range I got a Fujifilms Finepix S700 and I love it. All of my pictures on this site plus my youtube videos have been taken on it if you want some examples, plus the link is a fair review of the camera in my opinion.

Posted Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:43 pm

I've had good luck with canon's for awhile. as far as megapixels go, you really don't need anything bigger than 5-6 unless you want to print your images very large. it's all a marketing scam...

If your looking for a digital SLR, I've had a few friends buy the Canon Rebel XTi...it's 10 megapix, compact/small/light and you can use tons of different lenses...not sure how much they cost these days, but I think you can find a kit for under 800, which is pretty decent.

check www.bhphotovideo.com for tons of info/testimonials and basically any type of camera equipment you could ever want at a pretty good price.

Posted Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:17 am

You can get a pretty decent one for under $200. I have an old(about 4 years) HP photosmart with 5.2 megapixels and it takes very good pictures.

You can probably find a similar or better model on craigslist for very short change.

Last edited by bullshark on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:36 pm

6 megapixels is fine and megapixels is hardly a scam. The higher the MP the more dpi in the photo.

Try a canon with the flip screen so you can see what the image will look like as you point the camera at yourself.

Kman

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:49 am

it's not a scam, but they don't make printers that can actually utilize the extra dpi yet...so you'd be wasting ink and whatnot...for professional photographs people print at 360 dpi because that's the capacity of the printer. that's what I meant...

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:51 pm

I understand what you're saying, and I knew you did not really think its a scam. Smile

What I like about high MP is the ability to zoom in on anything in a photo and not lose clearity.

I have taken pics of animals 50 to 100 yards away and then zoomed in on the image and make a new image from the zoom. It makes it seem as if it was taken close up.

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:05 pm

good point, it helps if you don't have that $5k super zoom lens the Globe photographers at the Red Sox games have...

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links