DIY

The weather has been unseasonably warm, which is fine for you fairweather wussies, but for the hardcores, this is getting ridiculous! 50 degrees on December 22nd?? crazy...Last year I had iced my first pickerel by this time on 3" of clear ice! Right now I'm only hoping that I'll be able to hit the hardwater by February...oh mother nature, how I loathe you!

Anyways, enough for my weather rant...I've been in my 'workshop' lately making tip ups! I made a set for myself last year, and they turned out so well, that I decided to make a set for my dad, who has a bunch that don't work, and my brother, who doesn't have any, for xmas.

They should work out well, and I made almost everything myself! Ask any questions and I'll be glad to answer; I had a good time making them, and hope to use them as much as possible this year!

Posted Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Ted will be located at in Booth '4130' at MAFFExpo '12...you could clean up if you would make more and sell 'em....I know...I'm ALWAYS thinking "profit"...I like to tap people's skills and SPUR them on to greatness....if money is a bi-product...SWEEEeeet !<---in Eric Cartman's voice

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:20 am

You guys INSPIRE ME to fish---and sometimes an EMPIRE can be built on a NOTION ! Ted ma man ...you should start a business call TedzTiltz™®---thats some pretty handy work now that I've studied them a lil bit ...nice work indeed...

Doesn't hafta be about the "dough" per say...in today's day n age exclusivity and Niche' work PAY OFF BIG..."Hey did you get you get you TedzTiltz ordered?" "Naw I screwed myself this year I called after production halted"..."Aw...well too bad...'cause I got mine-Looks like one of us will be catching the BIG ONE this winter...and it won't be you"....see....my nugget runs 24-7...I can't shut it off hahahahaha

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:01 am

Nice work Ted!!!!!
Nothing like a handcrafted piece of art that actually has a function and will last for years n years. Nice job!

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:25 am

WOW! Those are great!!!!

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:30 am

I'll be serving the booze, hooowaaa wheres all the booze it's flowing like mud around here! ah the great pacino

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:26 am

those are works of art. you may hav to go a bit north to try um. the weather is just crazzy this year, well gota go spray some more arasol cans out the back door. global warming has arived.

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:36 am

ah just go let ur 4 ton suv run over night keeps the garage warm and no ice scraper needed

things look great cant wait to see the water freeze over

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:16 am

Ice fishing has been cancelled this year Exclamation Laughing If and when it does arrive it will surely be a short season Exclamation

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:43 am

What is the cost of making them compared to buying?.Where did you get the supplies to make them.

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Ted nice work on those traps. If I could only get a chance to clean/organize my basement I'd try making a set myself. I can't wait to get a look at them sometime in February.

Merry Xmas
Roger

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:22 pm

nice job, I hope we get to use them.

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:02 am

GREAT JOB TED!!!! I DONT ICE FISH BUT I KNOW GOOD CRAFTMANSHIP AND THOSE MY FRIEND ARE WELL CONSTRUCTED!!!!I'M SORRY BUT AFTER GET 2 BIG SMALLIES ON 12/22/11 IM NOT WISHING FOR ANY ICE FISHING THIS YEAR HA HA. BUT IT WILL HAPPEN!!

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:26 am

Very Nice work. Makes it all the better... I will gladly wait till mid-January for ice, even though I was looking forward to doing some ice fishing for first time since I was a kid. After the last 4 or 5 Cold years, we needed a break...

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:59 am

bassstinger

What is the cost of making them compared to buying?.Where did you get the supplies to make them.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen...I had a good time making them.

When buying tip ups, you can buy crappy ones for about 10 bucks, but a nice set (see Indian Hill) will run you upwards of $125 for 5. I bought most of the materials at the hardware store...I never figured out the exact cost, but it was definitely more time consuming than costly. They took a long time.

The wood is a piece of mahogany decking that ripped down with a table saw, that runs about $10 and an 8' piece is enough for 5 traps. The aluminum for the reel I found at the scrap yard and cut out with hole saw, and then had some help from a friend at a machine shop. That ran me about 6 bucks and was enough for 15 reels. The other costly part was the housing that holds the striker (which is a bent hanger), which was brake line housing that I got at Napa. The rest is just household washers, some threaded rod, nuts and bolts. I did buy the flags because I couldn't figure out what to use for the flexible metal.

Dave - I like the name, and your marketing plan, but I would go crazy if I had to make these dang things year round, haha.

Skoda and basshunter...keep spraying away! I'll just move up to Canada Smile

Smoke - Maybe the cape will stay open for ya this year...I don't make it down there anyway - nice smallies by the way!

Everyone else, I'll seeya on the hardwater mid-January I hope!

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links