I have fished a stocked body of water that recieves Trout and Salmon Spring and Fall. I have caught many Rainbows from 1-2lbs. and Broodstock Salmon up to ~5lbs. Many guys I see fishing here keep their limit to eat. My question is, how are the hatchery raised fish to eat? I heard somewhere the taste is poor due to the Purina Fish Chow they are fed in the hatchery. I have always caught and released but I want to try cooking the catch. I think keeping your limit and using the catch as food adds a whole new dimension to the fishing experience.

Also, any recipes would be appreciated.

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:30 pm

if they are stocked fish they areprobobly safer to eat then natural ones because they haven't been in the environment as long, therefore not picking up as many contaminents. If they a stocking a body of water then the assume people are going to eat them. if you are conserned don't eat more than 2 fish a week.(women who are pregnent should stay away from suspect fish altogether)

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Stocked, freshwater salmon are not even close in comparison to wild salmon Exclamation The meat is totally different. They make good cat food Exclamation Laughing

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 am

yea definatly agree

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:34 pm

I eat it all the time. I kill and clean the fish immediately making sure the black material along the spine is removed. I put it in a large plastic bag and then on ice. Cook it on the grill removing the skin as it cooks and basting the fish with butter dill and lemon. Yummy

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 am

fishlander

I eat it all the time. I kill and clean the fish immediately making sure the black material along the spine is removed. I put it in a large plastic bag and then on ice. Cook it on the grill removing the skin as it cooks and basting the fish with butter dill and lemon. Yummy

Same recipe and you can also bake with the recipe but add a thin layer of mayonaise helps take the fishy oils not that trout have a fishy taste by anymeans

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links