I am wondering about the fall trout stocking in Massachusetts. When does this occurr? Do they stock for the ice fishing season and so only put in small ones? Do people go out and fish for the trout while still open water? I am getting heavy into trout fishing this year but am still without a boat. I am living in Dedham and would love to be able to find a place somewhat nearby that could provide some late season trout fishing. I know that Houghtons pond is stocked but is it decent fishing or does it get fished out pretty quick? Thanks for the input!!

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:27 pm

houghtons pond is so over fished its sad

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Stocking usually starts in October, you can check the mass wildlife web page for stocking information. Its tells what ponds are to be stocked and when the last stocking was, great source for trout fishing information.

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Yeah Houghton's pond does seem to get a lot of fishing. I am stuck shore fishing for now until I can get a little vessel in the spring. Any of these spots can be fished from the shore?

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm

MA wildlife does not post dates for the Fall stocking. Only the bodies of water. Houghton's is included.

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 am

They post the dates and what lakes they stock after putting the fish in. Should start around October.

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:52 pm

This was just posted to the MA site:

Fall Trout Stocking -- Fall trout stocking occurs in a 2-week period (depending on water temperatures), beginning the last week of September and ending before Columbus Day weekend, a 2-week period. Due to the short stocking season, fall stocking activity will not be posted on a weekly basis.

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 am

Is it even worth going to Houghton's pond or is it just a s*** show? (pardon the French) Are you elbow to elbow with other fishermen? Or if anyone wants some company on a boat to do some trout fishing def let me know. I usually come bearing gifts (ie good beer)

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm

do you guys know if they stock every body of water that gets stocked in the spring? or if they scale it back and only do certain ponds and streams but not every water body listed? definitely gearing up to do plenty of trout fishing over the next month, just curious if they will be hitting up the usual sports in my area.

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:59 am

Only selected bodies of water get stocked with trout in the fall.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/fishing/trout/trout_waters_nd.htm

This list explains which waters get stocked in spring and fall

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 am

btownbub

Only selected bodies of water get stocked with trout in the fall.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/fishing/trout/trout_waters_nd.htm

This list explains which waters get stocked in spring and fall

awesome, just what i was looking for. thanks!

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 am

Anybody know if they got to Jamaica Pond yet? And how many?

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:43 am

I work in the area and fish it frequently. I have fished this pond for over 20 years and have caught some nice trout here. All the fall stocked ponds say that they will be stocked in a two week period in September, why would they not tell us on Friday what ponds where stocked the previous week as they always did in the past? I do believe Jamacia Pond was stocked with trout. The problem is the size of the fish stocked. I fished this pond three times in the last two weeks and have caught more than a dozen trout. The largest trout I caught was 14" (all rainbows). I have spoken with the regular guys that fish here and they all have the same issue...

How many fish were stocked? Any salmon? Any desent size?

I think the reason they did not post stocked waters is fisherman would want to know what was stocked?

Seems to me that the fall stocking at least at Jamacia Pond was just dinks...

Has anyone caught any respectable trout in Jamacia Pond in the past two months???

Any reports of desent fish in Waldon Pond? I know they at least have holdovers...

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:38 pm

The story going around is that the hatcheries didn't have a lot of fish or big fish for stocking this year. Supposedly had something to do with the hurricane last year wiping out the hatchery fish Exclamation

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:21 am

Thanks Don, I thought something was wrong because I have not heard of anyone catching any desent size trout. Last year this time of year the smallest trout I caught at Jamacia Pond was 15"and they were fat. This year they are 12" and most are pencil thin.

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links