do any of you fish from a kayak? i do and have caught more fish and bigger fish than i ever have before.

Posted Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:48 am

I'm going to be in the market for a kayak for fishing, very soon. I own an old fiberglass canoe, and with my back problems it's just too heavy for me to put on top of my car by myself, so I figured a kayak would be the next best thing. I'd love to own one of those new hobie cat pro angler kayaks, but that's waaaaaay out of my price range. next time i'm in dicks sporting goods I'm going to check out the ones they have.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 pm

go to charles river kayak in newton ma. look it up on line.they have tons of different kayak that you can try before you buy.we went down with one type in mind turned out we found much better one.we where so happy we bought ours there but theres nothing to say you have to.go down take a look try the ones you like get an idea what you really like then look for the best price but at least you'll know what you want.they treated us great. good luck. i got the wilderness pungo 140 my son got the pungo 120 and we are very happy with them but now after 3 year . i to would love to buy a hobie either the pro angler or the revelution not sure i need to try them both before i buy.but i'm still not getting rid of my pungo ill use it for shallow water fresh water and the hobie for bigger fresh water lakes and our new taste for salt water kayak fishing joppa flats in newburyport we are trying to catch our first striper in a kayak.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 pm

bobsdream

go to charles river kayak in newton ma. look it up on line.they have tons of different kayak that you can try before you buy.we went down with one type in mind turned out we found much better one.we where so happy we bought ours there but theres nothing to say you have to.go down take a look try the ones you like get an idea what you really like then look for the best price but at least you'll know what you want.they treated us great. good luck. i got the wilderness pungo 140 my son got the pungo 120 and we are very happy with them but now after 3 year . i to would love to buy a hobie either the pro angler or the revelution not sure i need to try them both before i buy.but i'm still not getting rid of my pungo ill use it for shallow water fresh water and the hobie for bigger fresh water lakes and our new taste for salt water kayak fishing joppa flats in newburyport we are trying to catch our first striper in a kayak.

thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I still have to save up some cash, plus I have a wedding to pay for so it's going to take me a little while to get the cash together. I'd like to get one that will be good in both freshwater, and saltwater. catching a striper in a kayak, now that sounds like fun, I'm jealous, ha ha. the kayak I've been recently eyeballing is the ocean kayak prowler trident 13 angler, from reading up on it, it seems like that would be a nice one for what I want to do with it.

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

I was at LL Bean the other day in Burlington, and they have a nice 10' angler kayak...I think it runs about 500$ for the package (paddle, cover anchor). the comparable one I saw at Dick's was 460, but no package, so you would have to buy a paddle and stuff separately and different rod holders (not as many as LL Bean). The non-angling one was a little cheaper, I think around 400 or 450...

Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 pm

i also like the trident,but i've got hobie revelution or pro angler in mind but i want to try before i buy. i also have to talk the wife into it she is telling me that 3 kayak's is enough. i have a pungo 140 and a walden scout 12 foot and my son has a pungo 120 happy with all three.but i'd still like a sit on top for joppa flatts.maybe next year.

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:46 am

volume4130

I was at LL Bean the other day in Burlington, and they have a nice 10' angler kayak...I think it runs about 500$ for the package (paddle, cover anchor). the comparable one I saw at Dick's was 460, but no package, so you would have to buy a paddle and stuff separately and different rod holders (not as many as LL Bean). The non-angling one was a little cheaper, I think around 400 or 450...

thanks for the info!!!

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 pm

bobsdream

i also like the trident,but i've got hobie revelution or pro angler in mind but i want to try before i buy. i also have to talk the wife into it she is telling me that 3 kayak's is enough. i have a pungo 140 and a walden scout 12 foot and my son has a pungo 120 happy with all three.but i'd still like a sit on top for joppa flatts.maybe next year.

cool. I'd give my right eye for a hobie pro angler, LOL. your wife reminds me of my soon to be wife, "you have enough fishing rods!!", LOL. they just don't understand, LOL. that is a nice collection of kayaks. I'd just like something thats lighter than my 1950's or 1960's era fiberglass canoe, it's a nice stable canoe, but it's so bloody heavy. a friend of mine I fish with said I could borrow one of his kayaks, but I want one of my own, and one thats made for fishing, not just kayaking.

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:38 pm

explain to your soon to be wife that if you elope you could buy two hobies and take her on a nice cruise with your new fleet and that it's a good way to spend time together.and theres another benifit of the healthy life style fish is good for you the excercise is good for you and that she would really look good in that pro angler. and if she buys into this make sure she tells my wife i could use the help selling the idea.

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm

bobsdream

explain to your soon to be wife that if you elope you could buy two hobies and take her on a nice cruise with your new fleet and that it's a good way to spend time together.and theres another benifit of the healthy life style fish is good for you the excercise is good for you and that she would really look good in that pro angler. and if she buys into this make sure she tells my wife i could use the help selling the idea.

hahahahaha, thanks Bob, I needed that, LOL. she goes fishing with me,got some great pics of her with the fish she's caught. it's great too, she's definitely not a girlie girl, she baits her own hooks, lips her own bass,and releases them all on her own, all I have to do is sit there and fish. she actually wanted to elope cause she's been married before, but this is my first wedding, and my mom would've shot me in the head if we eloped.

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:55 pm

volume4130

I actually bought this kayak this year. Actually, I originally was going to get the "angler" version, but after careful inspection, with the exception of the availability of the natural sand color, the gimmicks that came with the "angler" version (a silly little anchor and an awkwardly placed rod holder) weren't worth the extra price.

I had been eyeing kayaks for a few years, and setting my heart on expensive ones like the Hobie that I love, but I finally realized that getting my butt on the water this year was more important than the perfect kayak (for the first one anyway... and also I was feeling nervous about the economy and figured if I didn't buy it now, I might not get it for a long time...). I made a deal with my wife to set the budget for the boat around one weeks worth of daycare for my 2-year-old son, and started looking on craigslist, but couldn't find anything decent.

I wanted something light and small, for transportation and storage purposes. The LL Bean kayak is a rebranded Perception Prodigy that had a better package deal than REI had, which is why I bought it there. It is wider than a Wilderness of equal length, but clumsier and doesn't track as well when paddling, a trade off I though worth it for fishing. It's 10' about 40 lbs. I like it. Easy on and off the car, easy to carry up a small flight of stairs and around a corner to store on the deck.

The total package I got was ~$500 for the boat, cheap but functional paddle, life jacket for legal purposes, cover, and car straps/blocks. More than one week of daycare but the boat price itself not including the package was basically within budget, so I got and ok from the wife. I don't regret it at all. I have caught more fish this summer from the kayak than... well, since the last time I was fishing from a boat and not just from shore (many years for me...). For me the value of being on the water this summer in a cheap boat vs. waiting until next year (yet again) to save for the better boat, was a great payoff.

Cheers...

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:03 pm

your right about looking for good deals i found a walden scout at a yard sale 12 foot nothing fancy stripped kayak i but a front and rear rod holder on myself in about a half hour front rod holder was about 15. or 20 bucks rear one was 7 dollars cheap enough.it doesn't track like my pungo but there's nothing wrong with it i take that one when i go to the smaller ponds into the little back weedy areas with little holes and stumps and big fish.i like it because it,s easy to manuver and beleave me this yak is as tuff as nails.i have dragged this yak down a few cart roads to litte out of the way ponds that i would not have gone if i did'nt have it.at the time i bought it i payed 350.00 and got a cheap heavy paddel with it i don't care for the paddle but it works.gets you out there where the fish are.

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:56 pm

cyclopropene

I actually bought this kayak this year. Actually, I originally was going to get the "angler" version, but after careful inspection, with the exception of the availability of the natural sand color, the gimmicks that came with the "angler" version (a silly little anchor and an awkwardly placed rod holder) weren't worth the extra price.

I figured as much about the anchor (when they showed it to me, i kinda laughed), but I liked the extra rod holders in the back and stuff, because I usually bring a few rods with me. would you recommend getting the cheaper package and maybe drilling out my own rod holders or something? I don't know how that would work, but I don't see why it wouldn't...

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:22 pm

when you buy the rod holder for the back they give you a template with it tape it where you want it drill a small hole use a saber saw to cut it out drill your holes add silicone sealer bolt it down your done.it cost me 7 bucks for the rear rod holder i should of put 2 on.the pungos i bought came wuth them the yard sale extra kayak i put them on myself.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:36 pm

well Bob, I went kayak fishing today, it was great, had a few stability problems at first( I wasn't in a fishing kayak), but once I got used to it, it was awesome. I caught 3 Crappie and one Largemouth,(will be posting the trip in my profile). I definitely want a kayak though, but I want a fishing kayak, not a regular cruising kayak with a rod holder mounted to it(thats what I was in). I appreciate my friend letting me use one of his kayaks, but....
I think for x-mas, if people want to buy me gifts, I'll ask them to just give me the cash they were going to use to buy the gift so I can put it towards a kayak, or I'll just have my wife (cause I'll be a married man by x-mas)tell everyone that I want a kayak, maybe they'll all pitch in a buy me one.

Posted Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:18 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links