oldfisher

bass--man

I have a theory on this subject, I'm curious if it's going to hold water..

I threw the Booyah frog for couple years but I NEVER hooked a bass out of my canoe. I couldn't
figure out why I couldn't catch a bass to save my life with all the blow-ups I was having. I tried quick
hook sets and there were times I waited till the wake went away and still nothing.

My theory is this: My hooksets are almost at a angle where I'm pulling the frog out of their mouth
because of a low profile of a canoe vs the guys that are standing up. By standing up you have more
of an upright angle where the hooks should snag the top of the mouth a bit more easily

Thoughts?

I throw the SMALLER 1/4 oz booyah frogs sitting in my canoe and I get hookups most of the time. but if they aren't really whacking the frog I don't bother to throw them.

same here, i fish from a yak and booyah is the only frog i use. except for those missed hits (which do happen, when they just miss it or nibble at it) i do have a really good hook up ratio. rule of thumb is waiting 2 secs IMO

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 pm

it might just be that bigger frog. a lot of it is about feel...there's no set amount of time you wait. reel up the slack and get ready. as soon as you feel any pressure cross their eyes. you really need to stick them good if you're throwing a frog in heavy cover.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks guys. All good tips. samf: I think you're on the money with sticking them good. BTW, my gear is medium, low-end spinning combos with 12 or 15 pound mono so I can rip through muck and pads. (my gear isn't great, but I keep the reels lubed, and change the line regularly or at the first sign of wear).

Also, when I loose one, I often chuck a plastic follow up and do OK. I'm going to add a trailer hook too when I purchase more gear.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 am

I'm not throwing my frog on anything less than a heavy rod spooled with 65# braid.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:04 am

shawneramone

I'm not throwing my frog on anything less than a heavy rod spooled with 65# braid.

I agree with Shawn. You MUST throw a frog on braid. No ifs ands or buts. If you are using spinning 65lb will be kinda heavy for that. You wont get good casting distance. Drop down to 50lb.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 am

live4fish

Thanks guys. All good tips. samf: I think you're on the money with sticking them good. BTW, my gear is medium, low-end spinning combos with 12 or 15 pound mono so I can rip through muck and pads. (my gear isn't great, but I keep the reels lubed, and change the line regularly or at the first sign of wear).

Also, when I loose one, I often chuck a plastic follow up and do OK. I'm going to add a trailer hook too when I purchase more gear.

Generally the hooks on these frogs are big stout hooks, heavy gauge. In order to drive the hook through the bass' lip you need a stout rod with backbone. In a pinch I use a MH baitcaster with 65lbs braid. I did use a MH spinning for a bit with braid but didnt like the feel of it.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 am

biggz53

live4fish

Generally the hooks on these frogs are big stout hooks, heavy gauge. In order to drive the hook through the bass' lip you need a stout rod with backbone. In a pinch I use a MH baitcaster with 65lbs braid. I did use a MH spinning for a bit with braid but didnt like the feel of it.

Yup. You gotta drop the hammer on them. I thought I had a big Hookset until I saw Sam fish a frog.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:51 am

stratos1966

shawneramone

I agree with Shawn. You MUST throw a frog on braid. No ifs ands or buts. If you are using spinning 65lb will be kinda heavy for that. You wont get good casting distance. Drop down to 50lb.

at least put 20lb braid on it, then you can still use the spinning rod for other stuff too.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:59 am

Most middle of the road rod companies do not make a heavy action spinning rod. You can special order one from Northern Bass Supply in NH. They are made by Falcon and I have 1.
An inexpensive alternative is to go to BPH and buy either a 7' "tourney special" at $50 or a 7' Bionic blade at $80. Cut off the 1st 6" and put the top guide back on ( You might need to buy a guide 1 size up because the rod is not thicker at the tip. You will now have a 6' 6" heavy spinning rod. I have done this in the past and it works great.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 pm

stratos1966

Cut off the 1st 6" and put the top guide back on ( You might need to buy a guide 1 size up because the rod is not thicker at the tip. You will now have a 6' 6" heavy spinning rod. I have done this in the past and it works great.

I do that when I have accidents

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 pm

stratos1966

shawneramone

50 lb braid minimum and a heavy rod. and yes, drop the hammer.

here's a heavy spinning rod at a solid price point. these are actually a little more powerful than the average so it would work well for you.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pinnacle_Perfecta_DHC5_Spinning_Rods/descpage-PPDSR.html

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:23 pm

samf

stratos1966

shawneramone

50 lb braid minimum and a heavy rod. and yes, drop the hammer.

here's a heavy spinning rod at a solid price point. these are actually a little more powerful than the average so it would work well for you.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pinnacle_Perfecta_DHC5_Spinning_Rods/descpage-PPDSR.html

Nice find on that rod Sam!!! Go Fish

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:59 am

Looks like I'll make the plunge to some better gear. I liked having the cheap stuff because I was like doing cat and carp fisihng too, but since I haven't done much of either since I got the yak, I guess I'll make the investment.

Thanks guys

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:51 am

try an old trick I read In bassmaster years ago. When retrieving your frog try not to watch the lure. Instead keep your eyes on where your next cast will be then when that explosion happens your reaction will be delayed and improve your hook up ratio!!

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links