I have gotten, AND LOST, at least 15 solid hits on a fairly large booyah frog. It's the first TW frog I've purchased. With my new kayak, I've been doing much more freshwater LM fishing.

Don't get me wrong, I am catching fish and I'm doing really well with my creature plastics that look like frogs. On a positive note, I know where 4 big bass live (each time I show up and throw the frog, they give my shitty frog a hit or two and no catch).

Before you answer, note:
- The hooks are sharp.
- I have tried immediate hook sets, waiting 2, 3, 5, seconds...

What size do you use?
Do you let them swallow?

*How bad is it? I brought my buddy to a honey hole last Friday. On the way in, I said 'get ready for a laugh. I tossed the frog to one of the predictable places--spectacular hit. I waited, set the hook, and got nothing.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:37 pm

Put size 2 or 3 trailer hook on from Bass Pro Shops….made specifically for frogs. They have increased hook up ratio to at 60-70% for me on solid froggin/pad hits.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Fishngolf: Put the treble on the Booyah? Where on the frog?

Oh man... That scares me... The reason I've been able to loose 15 good fish is because I'm casting into the sketchiest places I could never drag a treble through. I had a great hit in open water at lunch today (of course I lost it).

I think we talked last fall... We should hit Sprague or the Charles sometime. Adios

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Get a smaller frog

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:17 pm

follow up with a punch jig

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 pm

instead of counting on the hook set, reel up the slack and wait until you can feel the weight of the fish pulling then set it. They arent going to spit it after a determined amount of time, they made their ambush and now retreating to enjoy the meal. You can also try bending the hooks up just a tad. Just so that when you run your finger from head to hook your fingers just get caught up. It will help the ratio.

Once you get the rhythm of it you should have no problems.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm

I always set as soon as I see the hit. What are you waiting for? Either the fish has it or not. BY the time you see the hit, rear back and set, if the fish did get it ,it has already turned and gone for cover with your bait. Most likely the fish has attempted to get your frog and missed it. I had it happen 3 times to me yesterday on Norton. 3 really hard WOOOSH hits, set the hook and the frog came flying back. The bass never got the frog into its mouth. A lot of times the lilly pads can block a bass from fully getting to your frog. The hits sound like.... how could that fish have missed my bait, but they do.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:44 pm

important question: what gear are you using? what type of rod and line?

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Good tips guys. I'm confident my rigs are fine. This booyah was my only problem.

I might bend the hook. I'll certainly get rid of all the slack, and stick em immediately.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Try the Lake Fork 2/0 trailer hook on your frog like Fishngolf and Roger had suggested. Not a Treble hook! A TRailer Hook!!
http://www.basspro.com/Lake-Fork-Trophy-Lures-Frog-Tail-Hook/product/11111505010510/
This doubled my hook ups and does not get caught up! You can still throw it right into the weeds, grass ect.. I still wait about 2-3 seconds before I set the hook.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm

jamesd

Try the Lake Fork 2/0 trailer hook on your frog like Fishngolf and Roger had suggested. Not a Treble hook! A TRailer Hook!!
http://www.basspro.com/Lake-Fork-Trophy-Lures-Frog-Tail-Hook/product/11111505010510/
This doubled my hook ups and does not get caught up! You can still throw it right into the weeds, grass ect.. I still wait about 2-3 seconds before I set the hook.

They really do work!

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:39 pm

pocketfisherman

jamesd

They really do work!

but limits where you can throw it

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 pm

I have a theory on this subject, I'm curious if it's going to hold water..

I threw the Booyah frog for couple years but I NEVER hooked a bass out of my canoe. I couldn't
figure out why I couldn't catch a bass to save my life with all the blow-ups I was having. I tried quick
hook sets and there were times I waited till the wake went away and still nothing.

My theory is this: My hooksets are almost at a angle where I'm pulling the frog out of their mouth
because of a low profile of a canoe vs the guys that are standing up. By standing up you have more
of an upright angle where the hooks should snag the top of the mouth a bit more easily.

Thoughts?

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Sometimes they just aren't really eating it. If they do hit it they're under the water crushing it with their mouth and as long as you get the slack up u got em. Following up a missed strike with some kind of punching rig is always a good idea. If they're being aggressive they'll usually grab it

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:32 pm

bass--man

I have a theory on this subject, I'm curious if it's going to hold water..

I threw the Booyah frog for couple years but I NEVER hooked a bass out of my canoe. I couldn't
figure out why I couldn't catch a bass to save my life with all the blow-ups I was having. I tried quick
hook sets and there were times I waited till the wake went away and still nothing.

My theory is this: My hooksets are almost at a angle where I'm pulling the frog out of their mouth
because of a low profile of a canoe vs the guys that are standing up. By standing up you have more
of an upright angle where the hooks should snag the top of the mouth a bit more easily

Thoughts?

I throw the SMALLER 1/4 oz booyah frogs sitting in my canoe and I get hookups most of the time. but if they aren't really whacking the frog I don't bother to throw them.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links