this brings up another question i wanted to ask. what about swivels? right now i only have one rod and use swivels and leaders to make it easy to swap out baits.

i notice a lot of people have multiple rods with different set ups and do not use swivels. does it make a difference?

Posted Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:11 pm

you now have two or three knots, rather then one, creating a weaker link between you and the fish. plus you cant always be efficiant with one rod for a vast majority of situations. i cant knock your techneque, because it does work and it is right for some people. i just like the felling of certian rods for certian tasks, e.g: flipping, skipping, froging, swimbait, worming, etc.

Posted Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Yea, usually your best presentation comes from tying direct to the lure/hook. Maybe slightly more work, but worth it!!!

Posted Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:12 am

I use Norman lures speed clips to quickly change my topwater and crankbait lures.

Posted Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:11 am

natickguy

what about swivels?

99% of the time, I tie direct, using the appropriate knot for the presentation(i.e., a loop knot for minnow lures, Zara Spook, etc.).

I only use a swivel with in-line spinners(like a Mepps or Roostertail) or with spoons. I will also use them when using a live bait rig, like a Lindy rig - but I don't use bait very often... and when I do, it's usually under a float for crappies/panfish.

When I DO use a swivel, it's always the interlocking wire type in a black color.

Posted Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:30 pm

[b 7 Spinning ranging from 6'6"-7'
36 Baitcasters ranging from 6'6"-7'9"
All St. Croixs with Pflueger Trion reels.[/b]

Posted Fri May 21, 2010 7:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links