Update:

So here I thought "The Boss" would like the idea, especially with the recreational fitness benefit involved...nope. A boat it will be in the Spring.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:24 am

That's a shame, because it means a lot more work (and cost) for you. I have friends over at newenglandkayakfishing.com that owned boats for decades, finally gave them up for kayaks, and would never go back.

At least when she starts getting on your case about how much time and money you're spending on that boat you can remind her that it was her idea, you wanted kayaks

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Wanted to dig this topic back up because I've been considering the Ride 115 or 135.

Zack/Maniac, have you guys gotten yours yet? What do you think? Where did you order from?

Anyone else have a Wilderness Systems Ride?

I was thinking the 135 would be better for stability and speed/tracking.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 pm

I am actually getting mine tomorrow morning, I'll post pics and prob won't take it out til it's atleast a week of 38+ out.

Posted Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 pm

I've never had a Ride but had WS Tarpon and Pungo, nice yaks. If your getting a siton you should consider a rudder. If your going to use it in salt also look at the OK Trident 13. Was my personal favorite paddle kayak.

Posted Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 am

Picked my ride 115 up yesterday, alot wider than I expected but its made to stand on so seems quite logical. I went with the advanced high seat set-up, seemed a lot more comfortable for someone of my height (6'1"). Now I have a question for you other kayak anglers, I need to purchase a new paddle, which do you recommend/use? Thanks a bunch, I'll post pictures next weekend probably when I use it on Cape.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 am

You don't want to skimp on your paddle, it is your engine. I would suggest get the lightest paddle you can afford. Carbon shaft is best. Don't get carbon blade because as a fisherman you will be using it to fend off rocks and stumps. Because of the width of your kayak, I would think you will want a 240cm paddle.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:29 pm

zack137z

Picked my ride 115 up yesterday

Congrats, where did you order it from? Does it feel particularly heavy?

Look forward to seeing how you like it, all I've seen are glowing reviews of it.

Posted Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 pm

My Ride 115 came in January 3rd - but I only got to see it for about 2 minutes! They shipped the wrong color (not really a big deal, but still....) and the front hatch lever was broken, so it got sent back (the company was really good about the return). I don't think I'll be getting out in it anytime soon, so a couple more weeks without it isn't going to hurt.

As for a paddle - I would recommend getting the best paddle you can afford. Try out a bunch to see what you like. As frogman said, it is your engine. I found this out the hard way last year when I went on a full day trip with my father - about 6 hours in, I felt like I was paddling as hard as I could just to keep up with him, and he looked like he just out there for a relaxing paddle. I initially thought it may be the kayak, but after switching both kayaks and paddles, I found that a much lighter (and slightly longer) paddle made all the difference (rookie mistake). I would guess that a 240cm paddle will be good for you for your height and the width of the boat.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 am

Frogman knows whereof he speaks. Carbon shaft is best, fiberglas shaft is next best. Avoid aluminum. The weight and the feel of the paddle in your hands are both very important. I use a Bending Branches Slice with good results and it's in the $100 range. I also have the paddle that came with my Hobie Revo 11 and it too is fiberglas, very similar to the Slice.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 am

Forgot to mention that I have had a few different paddles and really like my Bending Branches Angler Ace. Of course that is when I paddle Wink love my Hobies Very Happy

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:58 am

Took my kayak out yesterday for the first time. I ended up with a 230cm fiberglass paddle which worked out fine and easy, the 240cm would've prob been best but I had like a $50 gift card to Dicks and this was the best they had. It's a lot heavier than my previous one which was a ride in/cheap fishing kayak. The advanced/high-seat is ridiculously comfortable; I only have one ram rod mount holder but I just purchased a CratePak from a company in Michigan which has 3 rod holders built in that I put in the rear well instead of buying a bunch more rod holders for the slide track. Here's a turdable little video I made on my iPhone standing on it. It's very stable, you just have to be able to compensate if you move too much but I was standing on it for about 2.5 hours yesterday and I never felt like I was even close to falling off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F2rK7HL2Do

Caught my first 2013 bass too, so that was a plus.

Jiga: I ordered it from Sportsman Marina in Hadley; Hook 1's website (kayakfishinggear.com) has them on sale with free shipping at the moment tho.

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Good to see you got out for your first trip on your new kayak. I have to say, you really need to learn to dress for the water. Enough said.

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Haha, how so? I get wet pretty much never so I just stay warm

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

zack137z

Haha, how so? I get wet pretty much never so I just stay warm

Your in a kayak in the middle of the winter. No point trying to explain that to you. I am new on this site and don't want to stir up anything, so I will just keep quiet.

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links