I have never done this (kayaking), but I'm weighing buying 4 kayaks for the family versus a boat in the Spring. The boats people have been unloading have been absolute junk or way overpriced. I figure I can spend $5-6k on 4 new kayaks for the family, or spend the same for used piece of crap that might junk out on me.

I was specifically looking at this:

http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/freedom_pathfinder.php

Does anyone have experience with these models? It looks nice and I like the fact it's a local business even more.

I understand the drawbacks of not having a livewell/no tourney's/speed (was hoping to enter MAFF tourney's with my son next year). However, the plus I see is my entire family can do it and come/go as they please.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:34 pm

fishingwithkids

I have never done this (kayaking), but I'm weighing buying 4 kayaks for the family versus a boat in the Spring. The boats people have been unloading have been absolute junk or way overpriced. I figure I can spend $5-6k on 4 new kayaks for the family, or spend the same for used piece of crap that might junk out on me.

I was specifically looking at this:

http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/freedom_pathfinder.php

Does anyone have experience with these models? It looks nice and I like the fact it's a local business even more.

I understand the drawbacks of not having a livewell/no tourney's/speed (was hoping to enter MAFF tourney's with my son next year). However, the plus I see is my entire family can do it and come/go as they please.

Thanks in advance for the info.

We do have some kayak/canoe tournaments which are always a good time. Ive only kayak fished a handful of times, mostly a canoe for me so Ill leave your question to the experts.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:29 pm

I started kayak fishing this summer and I found it very fun and easy that I just preordered a 2013 wilderness system ride 115(you can stand and cast from it). It takes some time to get used too and if you enjoy moving spots alot your arms will be sore the first few times from paddling. I am not an expert at all but IMO it has to have a comfortable seat and I highly recommend a drift sock (for fishing).

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Get a boat thetr have been amazing deals in craigslist lately. Kayaks are fun but limited you will havr more fun with a boat.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Now Rob, I consider you a friend but I must respectfully disagree!

I can toss my kayak in the back of my van on a moment's notice and be on the water fast. I don't need a registration, I don't need a trailer, I don't need a trailer registration. I don't need a boat ramp, I can launch from anywhere I can roll / carry / drag my kayak. I can fish ponds that boat owners can't get near. I'm not at the mercy of a battery or fuel tank. I can get into water that's only a foot deep. I am the captain of my kayak. I don't have to deal with passengers, let them get their own kayaks. I don't have to worry about parking. I can take my kayak in the ocean, would you do that with your Pelican? I don't have to wait in line at the boat ramp to haul out. I can actually carry my boat. If I hook a big fish I just let him pull me around until he tuckers out. And I get a lot of great exercise.

So why would anyone want a boat? It's a hole in the water you pour money into Wink

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Haha John I knew you would reply to that. I agree with the ease and conveniance of a kayak and dont get me wrong i love kayak fishing. As you know I just recently aquired a new kayak and i love it. The only thing tho is for his family IMO I think a boat would be more practical. But its all preference. I love my kayak everything about it is amazing but i dont think i would ever trade my boat for a kayak.

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:11 pm

You definitely should spend some time fishing out of a Kayak to determine if that alone will meet your fishing needs.

I agree with what BerkleeGrad said earlier. A kayak is so easy to transport and get in the water that it makes getting out there a breeze.

Those Freedom Hawks that you linked to are really cool. I'd love to invest in something like that but for that price a boat would probably win out.

I'm thinking about getting a new kayak and had this in mind:

Perception Pescador

I hear that it can be had for about $499

The only downside for me is that I don't think it's built for standing which would be a nice option.

Anyone out there own a Pescador?

Good Luck

Posted Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 pm

PM Mainiac, he has a Perception and it's a nice boat.

As regards the Freedom Hawks, while they are kinda cool, you really need to do a lot of standing to make up for all the compromises you must make. I see this as a specialty boat, a good boat for bone fishing on the Florida flats where you need to stand up to see the fish. Otherwise, you are getting a boat that is heavy and slow. You would be better off buying a Hobie Revolution and adding on the optional pontoons. Might be a bit more money but far more versatile, IMHO.

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 am

jjbagoose - As BerkleeGrad said, I have a Perception. Although the one I have is called the Caster 12.5, the Pescador looks to be nearly identical except for length (6" shorter) and has scuppers near the feet AND the seat. For the price, it would be hard to beat this kayak - it's extremely stable (maybe not to stand up in and fish though), has plenty of storage room and options, and handles very well in the water. From hitting stumps at A-1 to striper fishing in the ocean, I have never felt like I was going to flip.

Like everyone else said, the fishing options for a kayak are abundant - the only time I've ever been extremely jealous of not having a boat is when the wind picks up on a large body of water and it makes it hard to move to other spots or attempt to stay in one spot.

I looked at the Freedom Hawks initially but felt they were a little to restrictive to what I wanted to do. Depending on how old your kids are, you could go out and buy 4 completely different kayaks for the family that you could rotate among each family member (if your family is like mine you'll always get the last choice!).

Zack137z - I just ordered the same kayak (Ride 115) - looking forward to being able to stand and cast!

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 am

mainiac

jjbagoose - As BerkleeGrad said, I have a Perception. Although the one I have is called the Caster 12.5, the Pescador looks to be nearly identical except for length (6" shorter) and has scuppers near the feet AND the seat. For the price, it would be hard to beat this kayak - it's extremely stable (maybe not to stand up in and fish though), has plenty of storage room and options, and handles very well in the water. From hitting stumps at A-1 to striper fishing in the ocean, I have never felt like I was going to flip.

Thanks for the info mainiac, why the switch to the Ride? Just the ability to Stand?

That's definitely the one bummer about the cheaper kayak options. I'd really like the ability to stand but I kind of question how good it is even on the upper end models?

Anyone have experience standing in a yak? Is it pretty easy?

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:04 am

My ride 115 arrives January 1st so I'll brave the cold to try standing and let you know. I see the host of Kayak Bassin' standing on this boat and he weighs like 100lbs more than me so I hope it's stable.

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:16 am

The main reason I'm switching to the Ride 115 is to stand. I had the opportunity to try one out at a Wilderness Systems dealer in Virginia on a whim, and loved it. If you youtube "ride 115" you'll see videos of guys of various heights and weights testing them out much more extremely than I did.

There was a guy that fished in the kayak tournaments that had a WS yak (not sure of the model) who I watched stand up regularly and throw crankbaits - maybe someone can help me out with who it was?????

The other factor for me was that my wife has been bugging me to get her a kayak - instead of buying her just a regular sit inside, why not get another one set up for fishing (and let her use whatever one I don't want to use that day) - best of both worlds! Plus I'll hopefully be able to get some friends to fish the tournaments too!

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:24 am

Nice, thanks for the info!

I would really love to stand but I'm not sure I wanna drop the extra dough.

I think I know who you're talking about from the tourney's and I think he was in this one:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/angling/angling_kayaks/Commander_angler/commander_120_angler/

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks to all for the excellent replies and PM's, very much appreciated. I just floated the idea to the "boss"...

If I get the green light for a fleet of family kayaks over a boat, tough decisions incoming.

Thanks again.

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 am

zack137z

My ride 115 arrives January 1st so I'll brave the cold to try standing and let you know. I see the host of Kayak Bassin' standing on this boat and he weighs like 100lbs more than me so I hope it's stable.

I'm definitely interested to hear how you guys like it.

Looking into it a little has peaked my interested.

You are brave to give it your first try in January! Good luck.

Posted Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links