Over the last 2 weeks I've tried too fish the Canton Res 3 times but the gate was locked twice,both times on the weekends.A group of us MAFF guys hung out until 6:30 this past Saturday and no one showed up to unlock the gate.The Police told me it doesn't open until 8 O'clock and the Canton Conservation Commission doesn't know an exact time. This doesn't exactly work well for a tournament that's supposed to start at 6:30. If anyone has any information on the gate or knows an Alternate launch site there please let us know.
This is just my opinion but I think we need to choose an Alternate Pond IMMEDIATELY, that way guys can pre-fish it. I think Ponkapoag Pond may work its in same general area,our tournament there earlier this year sucked and it should fish different this time around.
Please any and all suggestions you got guys, tourney is in 2 weeks.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:23 am

Don, why don't you try contacting the CC and see if they will give you the key? It may be worth a try. Idea

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:52 am

don51

Don, why don't you try contacting the CC and see if they will give you the key? It may be worth a try. Idea

That is an option. It's how people get into other locked areas for tournaments. But that might be only for tournaments that have been approved by the state (or whoever approves tournaments), not for those like what we do.

Either way, it's worth complaining about. If the gate is supposed to be open to the public and someone doesn't open it at all or at random times, then that's bullshit.

Ponk is a good alternate site.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 am

I'll give them a call and ask about a key on Monday.

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:47 am

I'll hold off on posting tourney signup until Monday night. Thanks!

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Any idea why it's locked now? I was there a few weeks ago and the gate was closed but the lock wasn't actually locked. Someone clearly found out and deliberately locked it. I don't really understand it at all. I also think the sign about not launching at the dam is BS. If it was just you fishing individually, it would be annoying, but you could still do it. Especially in a kayak.

Seriously, what's the big deal? The place isn't even that special or protected.

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links