I have a buddy whos tells us that fishin with shiners is'nt fishin. Now, I think thats rediculous. I fish to catch fish, and entertain myself. So, I do whatever it takes to land em, whether it be shiners, lures, worms...whatever. I have a lot of respect for those who use lures and land em, It takes skill. But all the biggest bass I've caught were on shiners. I've caught some nice fish on lures as well. I told him, whats the deal with some hunters, I've seen them set up apples in the woods to lure the deer...which he does. Same thing no?
Lemme know what anyone thinks.

Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:12 pm

I use shiners maybe twice or tree times a year. You know you will never get skunked on with them an it can be nice to toss one out an kick back with a brew or SOMETHING ELSE! I have caught my biggest fish using lures and get more satisfaction out of picking the right lure to catch a nice fish. I am not a shiner Nazi though. Some people will bust your balls, but the way I see it. Its about catchind fish an having fun.

Posted Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Shiners are obviously the best way to catch larrys. I've heard all the jive.

The best yellow-stripe shiners are the biggest. Some people know where to net them in the wild and keep them alive at home.

Hooking a "weedless" to a big fat horse-shiner on some 30 lb. test and tossing him down into an ambush site, especially when you just saw a small wake disturb the pads, is about the best way of cathing the larry of your life. If that's cheatin' than, call me a cheater.

Another thing about large shiners, is that as the fishing season gets later into the season, it is harder and harder to find large shiners. I guess there's a lot of cheaters. And of course, that is why it is so important to know about artificial. Which is exactly why we are at this web-site.

I have tried to put a shiner on one pole and tell the dog to go hunt, and used another rod with a lure. If I'm in a honey-hole, the shiners are getting so much action, I don't have time to cast the lure.

I guess it's whatever floats your boat. Some people just may get more challenge and satisfaction with the technical level of artificial. Maybe some day, when I reach that level of expertise, I will feel the same way.

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:09 am

Hey Jess, I have to agree with everyone on here. I regularly use any live/natural baits before even thinking of using a lure/artificial bait. It's a proven fact that live bait catches more and bigger fish! I use Shiners constantly during the spring, summer and fall when fishing for Larry Lunkers! I have caught a few lunkers in my life which were all caught on Shiners! I have also seen quite a few other people catch lunkers, all of them were either caught on Live Shiners or a Live Frog! Live Bait/Natural Bait is definitely the way to go! Very Happy

Posted Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:43 pm

For Freshwater Bass Fishing I gotta say I wont use live bait, and I feel there's not much challenge with shiners, etc. For the pure sport of the game I will only artifical baits/lures. Now I understand that people are gonna use livebait, and I dont really have a problem with that as long as they are practicing "catch and release". It drives me crazy when I see some a***** keeping a stringer of Bass for dinner. Keep all the panfish and trout you want, but please put the Bass back. Anyway, just my opinion.

Posted Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:29 am

When fishing by myself, I always dead stick a shiner on a bare line while tossing lures from the front of the boat. I'd say the count about 50/50 on most days.

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:26 pm

I fish both Live bait and lures. Yes it takes more to fish lures (Like picking the right one and fishing it the right way) but fishing is fishing live bait or not.

Funny thing happened last summer. We were staying on a lake in Maine and I was tossing lure after lure with not much luck. I decided to catch some very small sun fish on a fly near the dock and guess what, as soon as I used the first sunfish as bait.........bam a large mouth inhaled it and the fishing was on.

In the end it's a personal choice. Just as long as your enjoying your time out fising.

My 2 cents

BTW: when we go back this summer I'm bringing a minnow trap with me. HAHAHAHA

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 7:04 am

In the end it's a personal choice. Just as long as your enjoying your time out fising

WELL SAID!!

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 10:30 am

Hmm... Live bait.

I agree with folks that as long as you're happy fishing, use whatever you want (and catch and release...).

I've caught plenty of fish on lures, and I've been skunked many a time, but I always love it. I haven't used live bait in many years, though perhaps it's due to a childhood trauma of sorts. See, many years ago when I was a kid my brother and I were fishing Winnipesaukee up in NH and some local told us that the killer bait for Smallies was live hellgrammites. At the time, I didn't know what the hell a hellgrammite was, but we went down to the local bait shop and sure enough they had them so we bought some. We didn't even think to look in the box we bought until we were out on the water. Man, those things are freakin' hideous, and I can tell you it sucks to be the younger brother, because I was the one that had to handle them and those little f*&kers bite (or pinch, anyway). We fished them all afternoon and got nothing. Then we went back out after dark and hauled in a few good Smallies on black jitterbugs under good moonlight. That pretty much did it for me.

Posted Tue May 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Can I assume all of you fish from boats? For me, live bait and a bobber work best from shore. I don;t have a boat. I sometimes use the powerbait worms and they do catch fish, but not as many as live bait. I have been burned too often catching a lure on a log I didn't see and having to cut it lose. What kind of lures would people suggest for shore casting?

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 1:49 pm

egbradlee

Can I assume all of you fish from boats? For me, live bait and a bobber work best from shore. I don;t have a boat. I sometimes use the powerbait worms and they do catch fish, but not as many as live bait. I have been burned too often catching a lure on a log I didn't see and having to cut it lose. What kind of lures would people suggest for shore casting?

Actually alot of us are shorefisherman. I do most of my fishing in waders an like to really work a pond moving quite a bit. Tugging shiners around would be a pain in the arse! In the end tho who cares what you use.

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Big shiners catch big Bass but I usualy only use them a few times in late fall. I prefer lures and usualy outfish guys with shiners on same waters. I have to admit I love the explosions of a big bass going after a large shiner on the surface.

Posted Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:17 am

I agree with everyone in here. Its personal preference. For many years, i was always a shiner guy and had great success. I have recently switched over to lures and have found it more rewarding when landing a fish.

Shiners are certainly solid to use, especially when hanging out and relaxing. Also during mid day i would say shiners are better.

But if your out at night or early morining. A jitter bug or popper will land you a monster fish

I love them both to say the least

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:50 am

Nothing wrong with live bait But I like to throw lures. I think throwing lures is more like "hunting" the fish.

Posted Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:58 pm

I'm strictly a lure guy, live bait fishing to me is boring, plus when I started fishing at my friends private pond about 4 years ago he doesn't allow live bait, so I got in the habit of just using lures. the biggest bass I've caught to date which was 7lbs 4ozs(pic is in my profile), was caught on a zoom trick worm.

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links