Have you ever capsized?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
No
72%
 72%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 25

Used my canoe solo at Jacobs Pond, Norwell with my trolling motor and battery behind me at the rear of the boat with no offsetting ballast in the front (I have always fished with my Son in the front). I swamped it after reaching too far sideways after one of my rods caught a branch. Luckily I was close to shore and some fellow canoers/fishermen helped me salvage almost all of my gear.

Side note do not attempt to use a motor on Jacobs. There are far too many weeds and lily pads.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:11 am

I fell off my bass hunter last year but never capsized. Glad to hear you got most of your stuff back and at least it was nice weather. I fell in Late October or early November. Fricken Freezin. Also, if you have a Minn Kota TM check out the weedless wedge prop. It's about 25 bucks and cuts through almost anything.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:15 am

when I fish solo in my canoe I take 2 batterys, one up front and one in the middle. I have seen guys solo withe the front end sticking out of the water, scary.

ps: when I have someone up front i still keep the battery in the middle

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 am

It happens just need to hope it's close to shore and warm. And you don't lost gear. I flipped my canoe last summer with my girlfriend in it but didn't lose any gear thankfully. I fell off Sams boat three weeks ago haha, don't capsize Just slipped and it was a matter of going in the drink or landing on all my rods.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 am

Capsized in Stump Pond (H1/Mills) this weekend. Scary indeed. Two of us in a canoe hit one of the many hidden stump tips covered by the thick vegetation and in seconds over we went. We both had to cling on to stumps for support. My buddy was not wearing a PFD (dont ask me why). I was able to get the canoe over and slide inside (no easy task, especially as vines are wrapping around your leg. My buddy, being a bit hard headed said he was going to follow the canoe and kick his way back. Let's just say as I moved the canoe back to shore (70 hard yards) I could hear him being challenged by the weeds. We made it back but loss phones, a tackle box, and a pole. My buddy lost some confidence saying he is retiring from fishing for a while. I say, just wear you damn PFD. That pond has taken a few lives already but...in many cases folks were not wearing a pfd. Be smart and safe out there!

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am

Good advice EZ! Swimming in weeds is no small challenge. Especially in ponds that have muck bottoms where you can't put your feet down without having them sink another foot or two into the slop. PFDs always!!!

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:09 am

glad your ok and only lost your gear. its tough to get people to wear bulky life vests. I got the basspro inflatible one this year, its great, you don't even know you are wearing it.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:12 am

Never actually capsized, but just about sank about 5 feet from shore at Billington this year. A camera was ruined, but no gear was lost. White capped waves were coming over the side of the boat too fast to bail it out. We were very fortunate. Glad you were ok this weekend!

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am

ezangler

Capsized in Stump Pond (H1/Mills) this weekend. Scary indeed. Two of us in a canoe hit one of the many hidden stump tips covered by the thick vegetation and in seconds over we went. We both had to cling on to stumps for support. My buddy was not wearing a PFD (dont ask me why). I was able to get the canoe over and slide inside (no easy task, especially as vines are wrapping around your leg. My buddy, being a bit hard headed said he was going to follow the canoe and kick his way back. Let's just say as I moved the canoe back to shore (70 hard yards) I could hear him being challenged by the weeds. We made it back but loss phones, a tackle box, and a pole. My buddy lost some confidence saying he is retiring from fishing for a while. I say, just wear you damn PFD. That pond has taken a few lives already but...in many cases folks were not wearing a pfd. Be smart and safe out there!

Stump is where my girlfriend and I went in. We were only like 15 ft from shore so it wasnt bad.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 am

ezangler

Capsized in Stump Pond (H1/Mills) this weekend.

Wow, that's scary. Glad you guys are OK. I fish there all the time and always wear my PFD.

I'm terrified that I'll fall out and crack my skull on a stump.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 am

ive capsized a canoe twice i think but that was back when i was drinking a lot.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Dicks sporting goods is having a sale this week on PFD's. There are a few different brands that are buy one/get one free as well.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Never capsized. I had a buddy pulling me onshore when he tripped over a rock/bush and flipped me in... unfortunately it was in November where the water temp was a little chilly!

The funniest/embarrassing story with my canoe. I was at the docks at Cochituate coming back from a day of fishing and after putting most of my stuff on the dock it was my turn to get out. Got on the dock when I lost my balance but not enough to push me in, it was the gentle breeze that picked up at that moment that did me in! Two choices at this point: jump in the canoe and try not to capsize or jump in the canoe, then in the water. I choose option 2, the one step in the canoe and over the other side. Safe to say my canoe didn't capsize and I thanked God it was in the middle of summer! Could have been ugly!

ps. I would never go back to Stump Pond, way too dangerous!

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Canoe, one person and wind spells trouble. The most unstable vessel on the water. Luckily Jacobs is only 5 ft. deep, but still not a fun experience Exclamation

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:49 pm

i went to fish leesville pond yesterday and had all my gear as well as battery,tm, fish finder the whole 9 yards all set up ready to go and i launched from shore i put my foot in the boat and instantly took in like 4 gallons of water and started sinking cause i somehow forgot to put my drain plug in lmao! i usually have my boat prep routine but as i was in the middle of it yesterday i got side tracked by an angry phone call from the misses and never put the plug in. thankfully i was in 2 feet of water and still right at shore but it was not fun pulling a 12 foot 140lb tracker plus motor ,battery ,4+ gallons of water and all my gear outta the water by myself lol.

Posted Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:13 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links