We have room for a few more...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/makayakbassin

The first ever Massachusetts Kayak Bassin' event is this Saturday, April 16! The first stop of the year will be at Stump Pond/Robbins Pond in East Bridgewater/Halifax. Participants are allowed to fish both Stump Pond and Robbins Pond (accessed by portaging over a dirt road).

Though you can park and launch at Robbins Pond, this will not be a roadrunner event. There have been issues with nearby residents harassing fishermen who park in and fish from that area, so we're going to launch from the bogs near Stump Pond on route 106.

Enter on the right side of the bogs. If you come to locked gate, you're on the wrong side.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/8Ehh6MXcEos (2105 Plymouth Street, East Bridgewater, MA, across from the 106 Mini Mart)

Check-in: 5:30–6:30 AM

Captain’s Meeting: 6:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 7 AM to 3 PM

Entry Fee: $50

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You must have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access. We go by length, not weight, so you also need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

Official rules can be found here: https://goo.gl/xoSz6B

Special rules for this event:

1. Rivers are in bounds.

2. Robbins Pond is in bounds (accessed by portaging over a dirt road).

3. Unnamed bog bog northeast of Stump Pond is in bounds (also accessed by portaging over a dirt road).

Last edited by kenwood on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:31 pm

If you do not have a Facebook account, here are the official rules:

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool)

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

d. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. Anglers will be given scorecards to keep track of their catches. After photographing, enter the length of each fish. The biggest five will be your final length.

b. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

c. Highest aggregate length wins.

d. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

e. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent. See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier, which must be printed out and clearly visible/legible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up.

c. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”

d. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

e. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

f. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

g. You may restrain your fish (side of the mouth ONLY) with a clip or fish grips.

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Posted Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 pm

I want in Ken. I don't have Facebook though.

Posted Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:13 pm

chrisfishd

I want in Ken. I don't have Facebook though.

No worries. I'll put you down. =)

Posted Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:19 pm

Dont have a facebook either, but I'm also in if you still have room!

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:43 pm

chrisg819

Dont have a facebook either, but I'm also in if you still have room!

You're in.

You have a Hawg Trough, right?

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Yep, I got one. All set. Looking forward to Saturday.

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Excellent. See you there. =)

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:51 am

I know this is kinda late, but was wondering what the "unique identifier" is suppose to be. Will we receive those tomorrow or are we suppose to print something?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:06 pm

chrisg819

I know this is kinda late, but was wondering what the "unique identifier" is suppose to be. Will we receive those tomorrow or are we suppose to print something?

Thanks,

Chris

I will provide them tomorrow. =)

Posted Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Can't imagine it is going to be a lot of fun out there today.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:21 am

The wind is relentless. It seems to get worse by the day. Can't recall it howling like this for an entire week! Rolling Eyes

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:42 pm

whitecaps

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:55 pm

White caps and rollers. Took too many to count over the bow and sides. Had over an inch of water in the yak at one point and was constantly mopping it up. One of the roughest days yet for me. My favorite and best spinning setup went overboard.

I still can't create a trip on my mobile for some reason, so here's the pics. Was fishless till 1pm, got the small one on the edge of a mudline about 100' off shore under the power lines. Second one was at 2:30 at the mouth of the cove where we launched, both on spinnerbait. Did some serious paddling today.

Ken did a good job organizing this, the first one went smooth. Great group of fellow anglers, and the winner took home a nice trophy for his good work.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Yeah, brutal day out there. Here's a little write-up I did on Facebook:

And that's a wrap! The first tournament is in the books, and it was brutal.

The wind blew so hard, there was a point where I couldn't get ahead of it and thought I was going to be stranded on the other side of the lake. We all got our asses kicked by mother nature today.

And Don (purpleturkey).

Don made the decision to break from the group and hop over to Robbins Pond first thing in the morning and it paid off big-time. He caught four over there early, and then caught a last-minute 13.5-incher in Stump Pond to fill out his limit for a total of 64.5 inches!

That was more than enough to take first place, $350, and a sweet trophy.

Second place went to Chris Diranian (chrisfishd), with two fish for 29.25 inches. That netted him $100, and he also got $50 for lunker (15.75 inches)

I managed to catch a 12.75-inch bass at the end of the day, which was good enough for third place, $50, and my dignity. I'd like to thank Tom (tomp) for leaving early, because his 14-incher would have beat me. Haha.

(We're talking about fish here, by the way.)

Anyway, we had 11 anglers total. Not a bad turnout at all. Good seeing some new faces and meeting new people. I hope you all join us again. The next tournament is May 7 at Billington Sea.

Thanks, guys! And congrats, Don and Chris!

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links