The second event of the season! If you’ve never been to Billington Sea, the ramp can be a little tricky to find, especially if it’s still dark. Follow Morton Park Rd until it the asphalt begins to deteriorate and it turns to dirt. It splits at parking area next to Little Pond, follow the road left, then turn right up the hill. Follow this to a four-way intersection, and turn left. That’s the ramp.

Should be an interesting tournament, as the herring are beginning to run. I'm not sure how it'll look come May 7, but it could be a tough bite. Bring your herring-like baits!

(Wish I knew about the herring before I scheduled the damn tournament! Haha.)

There are smallies in here, though they are far less abundant, so there will be a split lunker pool (an additional $10 for lunker smallie).

Also, if anyone is up for a lunker pickerel pool ($5 or $10), bring a scale. We'd have to go by weight because there are some giants in there that easily go 30+ inches, too long for the measuring boards. I caught two back-to-back last Saturday.

This tournament is open only to those fishing from human-powered vessels (kayak, canoe, raft, etc.).

Launch Location: https://goo.gl/maps/28oqnCibv9s (Morton Park Road, Plymouth, MA)

Check-in: 4:30–5:30 AM

Captain’s Meeting: 5:30 AM

Tournament Hours: 6 AM to 2 PM

Entry Fee: $50/$60 (Optional)

This and all MAKB tournaments are CPR (catch, photo, release) events. You MUST have a digital camera to compete, preferably a cell phone with Internet access. We go by length, not weight, so you need a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device.

Official rules can be found here: https://goo.gl/xoSz6B

Special rules for this event:

1. Rivers are in bounds.

2. Trask Pond is in bound.

If you're interested in going and have a Facebook account, please sign up at the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1008216975891162

If you do not have a Facebook account, just reply in this thread that you're in. And see the following reply for the rules.

Posted Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:00 pm

If you do not have a Facebook account, here are the official rules:

PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY

a. All anglers must fish from human-powered vessels (kayaks, canoes, inflatable rafts, etc.) unless a physical disability requires the use of an electric motor (max 70lb thrust).

b. Each angler must pay a minimum entry fee of $50 per event (some events will have an optional $10 smallmouth lunker pool)

FORMAT

a. This is a five-fish limit, CPR (catch, photo, release) tournament series.

b. Each tournament will be 8 hours long, weather permitting.

c. Eligible fishing areas will be listed on the event page and gone over prior to the start of each tournament

d. No pre-fishing allowed two days prior to each event.

d. Artificial lures only, no exceptions.

ELIGIBLE SPECIES

a. Largemouth Bass

b. Smallmouth Bass

SCORING

a. Anglers will be given scorecards to keep track of their catches. After photographing, enter the length of each fish. The biggest five will be your final length.

b. The default unit of measurement is length, no exceptions. All fish will be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter inch.

c. Highest aggregate length wins.

d. Minimum length for a bass is 8 inches.

e. In the case of a tie, the tie-breaker goes to the person with the longest fish. In the case of a tie for longest, the tie-breaker will then be the next longest fish, etc.

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

a. These are CPR (catch, photo, release) tournaments. A digital camera is required equipment.

b. You will need a Hawg Trough or equivalent. See the Files section of this page for purchase links to acceptable measuring boards.

c. The numbers and lines on your measuring board must be black (or sufficiently darkened to contrast with the board) and clearly visible in each photo.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

a. Each angler will be given a unique identifier, which must be printed out and clearly visible/legible in each photograph.

b. All fish must be photographed facing left, dorsal fin up.

c. The bass’s mouth can be open no more than one inch and must be touching the measuring board’s “lip” or “fence.”

d. Any bass whose mouth is open more than one inch will result in a half-inch deduction.

e. Tails must be relaxed, centered, and not excessively pinched.

f. Your kayak (or canoe, raft, etc.) must be visible in all photographs.

g. You may restrain your fish (side of the mouth ONLY) with a clip or fish grips.

PAYOUTS

a. A minimum of two places plus lunker(s) will be paid out.

b. Example of Payouts (based on 10 anglers and a pool of $500):

1st Place: $200
2nd Place: $120
3rd Place: $80
Lunker: $100

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Posted Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 pm

Bump!

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 9:41 am

I was down there last Friday. Tough bite! Water is shallow and super clear. Which makes it even tougher as the fish are spooky enough this time of the year! One small bass and a few missed fish. Give it hell! Very Happy

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 11:45 am

Yeah, it was tough for most at my club tournament there on the 23rd.

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm in

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Awesome! Thanks, Chris. =)

Posted Mon May 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Giggady

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 11:20 am

Bump!

Weather is looking good for Saturday. Plenty of room for more. =)

Posted Thu May 05, 2016 10:21 am

kenwood

Bump!

Weather is looking good for Saturday. Plenty of room for more. =)

Every time I look at the forecast it looks better and better!!! Smile

Posted Thu May 05, 2016 12:26 pm

The other night it showed PM showers. A few hours later it showed AM showers! Shocked I have no idea how these guys get paid more than minimum wage. Haha.

Posted Thu May 05, 2016 3:17 pm

Giddyup

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 am

Last call!

Posted Fri May 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Going to be tough! As you stated on FB water temp has dropped big time! One fish could very well win it! Happy fishing. Laughing

Posted Sat May 07, 2016 5:16 am

don51

Going to be tough! As you stated on FB water temp has dropped big time! One fish could very well win it! Happy fishing. Laughing

It was a grind, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Here's the write up I did on Facebook:

What a dreary day!

Eight of us made the trek out to Billington Sea to fish the second MAKB tournament of the year. It was foggy/misty, breezy, and cold. Water temps were in the mid-50s for the most part. Not the best of conditions, and definitely not as good as it was looking just a day or two ago. But there were a decent number of fish caught.

We decided against doing a separate lunker pool for smallies, since rarely more than one or two are caught in a tournament, if any. Bummer for Donald "Dropshot" Davis since he caught a fat 16.25-inch smallmouth, probably the biggest I've seen come out of that place. He had two more fish, all caught on a dropshot, for a total of 48.75 inches.

That was good for third place. He also took home the lunker prize with a 17.25-inch largemouth. Nice!

At launch, I made my way directly across the lake. I was going to try to find my way into Trask Pond. But then I realized I'd forgotten the remote for my Power Pole, so back across the pond I went. (Never did make it into the pond, if you can even get into it.)

After getting the remote, I paddled out to the island, tossed a white spinnerbait into a laydown (all my bass came on the spinnerbait), and nailed my first and biggest bass of the day. Good thing I forgot that remote! =)

I managed two more not long after that, then lost one later in the day because, for some dumb reason, as I was reaching for my net, I thought, "Nah, just flip it." Fail. Luckily I managed one more at 1:47 PM, on my way back to the ramp, but that lost fish hurt because it cost me the win. =(

I ended up with a total of 49.25 inches which was enough for second place. Congrats, Ken! Thanks!

(Four of us also chipped in five beans apiece for a pickerel lunker pool, and I was lucky/unlucky enough to land a 3lb 6oz aquatic snot rocket to increase my bean count by fifteen. Congrats, Ken! Thanks.)

Edward Neely came all the way from Springfield with borrowed gear, after some lowlife turd stole his rods. This didn't stop him from hauling in four solid bass for 52 inches and the win!

So a big congrats to Ed! Use that trophy wisely...you know, for, like, bludgeoning to death fishing-pole thieves or something. Haha!

And thanks for traveling so far, man. I appreciate it!

Congrats to Don as well. And a respectful nod to Chris Diranian and Mike Elrick, both of whom had three fish each for 39 inches and 33.75 inches, respectively (Chris had third place until I caught that last-minute bass).

Our next tournament is in three weeks at Oldham Pond in Pembroke. Hope to see a good turnout! Great little pond. =)

If anyone wants to see photos or whatever, check out the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/makayakbassin

Posted Sat May 07, 2016 10:07 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links